Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
In Search of a Mask - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: In Search of a Mask (/Thread-In-Search-of-a-Mask)

In Search of a Mask - cyberfiche - 09-24-2024

Hello all. It’s about time for me to get a fresh mask, and I’m thinking about making a change.

I have tried the following masks: 
  • F&P Evora Full
  • ResMed N20 
  • Resmed N30i 
  • ResMed P30i (currently using)
I really liked the N20, but the exhaust vent was blowing right on my wife drying her out. I switched to the N30i because the exhaust air blows straight up from the top of my head. I found that the N30i was shifting around too much during the night causing leakage, and switching to the P30i nasal pillow solved that for me. The P30i fits fantastically on my nose. The problem with the P30i is that the connection to the hose is at the top of my head, and thus the air travels through tubes on either side of my face to get to my nose. I sleep on my side, and the tubing between my face and the pillow makes this mask more uncomfortable than the masks that connect in the front.

I’m looking for a mask that meets these criteria:
  • Preferably a nasal pillow mask, although that’s not a deal breaker
  • The hose connects in the front instead of at the top of my head, so I don’t have to worry about tubing running down the side of my face
  • The exhaust air is somehow diffused or directed in a way that won’t blow directly on my wife
I think the F&P Bevida might meet the requirements, but I’d really like to get some feedback from the other members here before I make any decisions. Does the Bevida truly diffuse air so it doesn’t blow on your bed partner?  Are there other masks besides the Brevida that would work for my situation?

Thanks for any advice!

- cyberfiche

RE: In Search of a Mask - Bluran - 09-24-2024

The Brevida's diffuser works really well, it's not a jet of air and my wife doesn't notice it at all.

I've only been using it for a few days now and getting the right fit is important, I used M/L initially and my nose just hurt a littlebit more everyday, to the point that I stopped using it in favor of my full face mask. Gave the XS/S a try after two more days and it discomfort and pain has not returned. Going to stock to the small now.

Note I've only been on Cpap for a month now so still getting used to everything

RE: In Search of a Mask - cyberfiche - 09-24-2024

Thanks, Bluran! I've wondered about the sizing of the Brevida. I've selected medium in other masks, and that has worked well so far. It sounds like, if I get the Brevida, I should get the fit pack that comes with different sizes.

- cyberfiche

RE: In Search of a Mask - Tampa Jim - 09-24-2024

Maybe the F&P Solo Nasal, my wife loves it.

RE: In Search of a Mask - Crimson Nape - 09-24-2024

I love the F&P Evora full mask. However, its vents exceed your last requirement. Initially, I found taping pieces of a CPAP intake filter, as to cause flaps, over them was successful in defusing the exhaust. Again, if the wife is involved, all bets are off on that idea.

- Red

RE: In Search of a Mask - SakimaStorm - 09-24-2024

I've been using the F&P Brevida for a few months now and really like it. Happy to report that the diffuser works very well. No air disturbing my wife and I can barely feel the air holding my hand right in front of the exhaust port.

Once a week wash the diffuser gently with a clean rinsing soap (like Dr. Bronners Sal Suds), then rinse with clean water and allow to air dry.

The seal is excellent though not quite as good as the ResMed AirFit P10 on my face.I had trouble with the P10 exhaust vents getting clogged, even with weekly cleaning, so I switched to the Brevida and have been very satisfied.

RE: In Search of a Mask - mtnjames - 09-25-2024

(09-24-2024, 07:28 PM)Tampa Jim Wrote: Maybe the F&P Solo Nasal, my wife loves it.

Unfortunately it has no diffuser and for me at least was very loud particularly during inhalation.

P10 is way quieter. 

I, too, have a Brevida on the way to try.