Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Can't install OSCAR on new laptop with Snapdragon processor - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: Can't install OSCAR on new laptop with Snapdragon processor (/Thread-Can-t-install-OSCAR-on-new-laptop-with-Snapdragon-processor)

Can't install OSCAR on new laptop with Snapdragon processor - stevessteves - 10-03-2024

There is a previous post on this topic but no answer -- so I'll try a new post:

I recently bought a new Surface laptop that has the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor (not Intel), and I'm not able to install OSCAR. The version I downloaded is the 64-bit (the new laptop has the Windows 11 64-bit operating system)

I heard that the laptop should have an x86 emulator that allows it to run software designed for intel chips, but when I try to install OSCAR I get an error that says the software can only be installed on versions of Windows designed for x64 processor architectures.

Any advice will be welcome -- thank you!

Steve

RE: Can't install OSCAR on new laptop with Snapdragon processor - untoutseul05 - 10-03-2024

Maybe, you can try to install OSCAR from the source & compile on your own.

RE: Can't install OSCAR on new laptop with Snapdragon processor - stevessteves - 10-03-2024

(10-03-2024, 01:17 PM)untoutseul05 Wrote: Maybe, you can try to install OSCAR from the source & compile on your own.

Thanks for the suggestion -- I wish I was smart enough to understand what that even means Smile

RE: Can't install OSCAR on new laptop with Snapdragon processor - stevessteves - 10-03-2024

Good news -- I tried installing the 32-bit version of OSCAR, and it's working. 

Not sure why, but at least I'm back in business Smile

RE: Can't install OSCAR on new laptop with Snapdragon processor - cjw29 - 10-05-2024

Hi stevessteves,

I did a quick google on the Source Code and looked in the BuildInstall.iss file in the Building/Windows folder (can't post link because I'm a new user) and I think the reason the x64 code didn't install on your ARM64 based computer was because Inno (Installer script) explicitly checks whether the architecture is x64.. Someone raised this regarding Inno on stack overflow.

I have contacted Crimson Nape for you and shared the relevant links which I can't share here because I'm a new user. I don't develop for the project, was looking at my CPAP data randomly as I am doing a data science course at Uni currently covering timeseries and I thought I have a peek at my CPAP data so used OSCAR on my x64 laptop (not arm64)

RE: Can't install OSCAR on new laptop with Snapdragon processor - cjw29 - 10-05-2024

Hi stevessteves,

The 32 bit version is working for you... 

I don't have time at the moment to install the buildchain and see if changing the installer script would work and no way to test it on ARM64... and anyway.. you shouldn't run .exes from unknown sources...

Crimson nape said

Quote:The Windows installer and build instructions are explicitly for an Intel chip. You need the Chromebook builds that are for the Arm chip. The current Arm builds are for a Linux OS and are currently provided by a 3rd party. I am ignorant of there being an Arm64 Windows OS. If there is, you would need to install the Qt 5.12 or later version 5 IDE with the Arm64 compiler and build the source code yourself. On the other hand, if it is Windows 11, then it has Linux underpinnings. This might allow you to run one of those builds. As to how to do this, I haven't a clue.

Think he is referring to WSL?? re Linux underpinnings.