Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Battery backup question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Battery backup question (/Thread-Battery-backup-question)

Battery backup question - PaulaO2 - 10-07-2024

Day 11 with no power. My blood pressure was getting dangerously high by day 6. The town closest to us was slowly reopening and we went there. It's a long adventure story but the end result is we got a massive 31M marine/rv deep cycle flooded battery and an inverter.

It's working great! I set the machine to straight 15, no humidity (certainly don't need it!), and it lasted 3 nights. We charged it today with the car. According to my watch, my spO2 is still going into the 80s at night but not as low as without it.

So my question is, how long should I wait between turning it off in the morning until I turn off the inverter? I sent want to lose any data that may be computing in its wee brain.

(I live in North Carolina in the same county as Asheville. We were hit hard by Helene.)

RE: Battery backup question - Nightynite - 10-07-2024

You should check into a converter cord for the a10 on Amazon. It converts 12v to 24v. You would also need one of those female cig. Sockets that attaches to the battery terminals, also on Amazon.
When you use an inverter, it uses power. You should get a lot more run time.

I have just a 12v power supply. 300wh . It weighs 8 lbs. I get over 32 hrs . With no humidifier.

I turn mine completely off after 15min. It has a program that purposely blows air to help dry out any moisture in your hose. I don’t know exactly how long that is, so I just use 10 or 15 min.

Added: you don’t need to worry about losing any data as long as you have a sd card in.

RE: Battery backup question - PaulaO2 - 10-07-2024

Getting anything from Amazon is impossible right now. Most shipping companies are struggling to get things in and out.

And thanks for the time to wait! I'll set a timer.

RE: Battery backup question - Nightynite - 10-07-2024

From Resmed site:

After therapy has stopped, the device will continue to blow a small amount of air to avoid condensation in the machine and air tube. This will stop automatically after 20 minutes.

RE: Battery backup question - PaulaO2 - 10-07-2024

Thanks!

Cell service is very limited and access here. It is the only way to go to websites though and is slow. Can't even fill out FEMA forms. Anyway, that's why I came here to ask instead of washing power looking it up.

RE: Battery backup question - Crimson Nape - 10-07-2024

My best to you.  If and when you can, get a DC-DC 12/24volt A10 power supply.  I got mine from Amazon for around $38.  The inverter is eating up a bunch of the battery's power.  Since you aren't using the humidifier, thus adding additional humidity to your air supply, I would disconnect as soon as I shut down the CPAP,    The ambient air is being accelerated through the machine and will cause a drying effect.   If you are currently using a ClimateLine hose, try to use a regular one.  Also, if your CPAP has a modem, put it in airplane mode.  These steps should add some additional runtime.

Take care and keep us updated when you can.
- Red

RE: Battery backup question - Tampa Jim - 10-07-2024

Amazon ...

NOCO GC018 15A 14AWG 12V Adapter, Heavy-Duty Cigarette Lighter Plug, and Female Socket with Eyelet Terminals

HKY for Resmed Airsense 10 DC Converter 24V 90W DC Adapter Fit Resmed AirSense 10 CPAP/Elite/AutoSet/AutoSet for Her,AirCurve 10 & AirStart 10 Series CPAP/Bipap Machine Power Cord Airsense 10 Supplies

As noted, you'll use a lot less power. We use a Jackery with ResMed 12V adapters for our A11 units.
And our setup is about to pull some overtime. We're in Tampa. Just finished cleaning up from Helene.
Best wishes to you. Time will heal ... but these hurricanes are sure wearing thin on our nerves.

RE: Battery backup question - PaulaO2 - 10-08-2024

And the power came on late last night. I made notes of the adapter and hookup and will get them soon.

I need to go out and get a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up

RE: Battery backup question - Nightynite - 10-08-2024

Good news! Stay safe. It’s also pretty cheap to get a portable 100 watt solar panel to charge the battery.

RE: Battery backup question - Crimson Nape - 10-08-2024

You need a battery maintainer (Battery Tender) and not a trickle charger.  There is a difference, but words fail me on trying to explain it.  For reference, I am listing the components I use on my system.  So I will not be woken during the night, I have my CPAP set up to use this configuration full-time.  Other than a battery replacement, this system has been up and running for over 6 years.  Basically, $87 worth of goodies. - Red