Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Is this palatal prolapse? reason NOT to tape mouth? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Is this palatal prolapse? reason NOT to tape mouth? (/Thread-Is-this-palatal-prolapse-reason-NOT-to-tape-mouth)

Is this palatal prolapse? reason NOT to tape mouth? - SeePak - 10-26-2024

[attachment=71193]

Assuming this is palatal prolapse, I am thinking that this is an important reason NOT to tape my mouth!?

I am going to start using Myotape which allows mouth to open for mouth puffing, in situations like palatal prolapse, where i have a blockage and cannot exhale.
It will help re-close my mouth once the prolapse is over.

Anyone else with palatal prolapse please share your experience.

RE: Is this palatal prolapse? reason NOT to tape mouth? - Sleeprider - 10-26-2024

I don't have PP, and don't tape, but your logic makes a lot of sense. Tape can severely limit your options in the event of expiratory obstruction or flow limitation, and it is not commonly recommended by the medical community as a solution to mouth breathing that I'm aware of.

RE: Is this palatal prolapse? reason NOT to tape mouth? - SeePak - 10-26-2024

Thanx Sleeprider.

I am hoping i can keep mouth closed when not needed and that my therapy and sleep is not compromised too much.

I did find another thread on the forum for PP.

It was agreed there that EPR made the prolapse worse.

I know you have a lot of good things to say about EPR, wondering if you could wade in on that?

I have always had problems with EPR and CA events, perhaps the PP was another nail in the coffin for EPR with me?

RE: Is this palatal prolapse? reason NOT to tape mouth? - G. Szabo - 10-26-2024

Here is my experience. 

Indeed, the negative impact of PP can be resolved by diverting the outflow toward the mouth. Hence, all you would need to deal with PP is a full-face mask.  

Unfortunately, this is not a solution because an FF mask allows you to open your mouth during the inhalation period. When I inhale with an open mouth, my tongue moves backward, causing OSA events. Hence, I needed to tape my mouth to fix my tongue position and deal with the inspiration flow limitation. Once it is done, there are not too many options left. You either use a stent, positional therapy,  or surgery to mitigate the exhalation limitation. 

There might be a narrow path to ensure a closed mouth during inhalation and an open (or partially open) mouth during exhalation. However, this can compromise the position of your tongue, which should be behind your teeth. Nevertheless, I would like to know if it has been successful. 

RE: Is this palatal prolapse? reason NOT to tape mouth? - SeePak - 10-26-2024

yes Szabo, thanx.

that is me exactly, crowded teeth, big tongue, long uvula.

I need a very precise position, as you describe with pillow/wedge type thing, to avoid mouth opening.

I am going to pursue more pillow talk!  LOL

Also, going to re-visit myo functional exercises for uvula lift, tongue strength and muscles around the lips.

Really hope to keep the mouth closed, when necessary, and naturally.

I appreciate suggestions and all the surgeries out there, not for me.

forgot to say, i have used full face mask, as suggestion by Pizza, and it worked well actually, but for the mouth opening.

Thank you and i will definitely keep you informed of the success i may or may not have with the Myotape, which is a very neat solution....when/if it works!