Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fisher and Paykel Solo
RE: Fisher and Paykel Solo
@Gogirl

Saw your comment. See you've had issues with the Evora Full. My story isn't important, unless there's something that helps you resolve your mask issues.

I've journaled my trial of my F&P Evora Full on this site. My issue was leaks. It's a well made mask! I wanted it to work.

Turns out that my issue is really over-tightening the mask straps. I've gone through 2 DME suppliers, then returned to the first one. She set it up firmly.

My nose hurt.
* I marked the strap to show starting points.
* I set the upper straps LONGER by about 1/8th of an inch on each.
* I checked and found that the upper straps were not equal in length. The lower straps were unequal too. I evened them out.

Now I'm ok!

I put the mask on while holding the cushion's outside surface.
I do a ResMed Fit Test. That really helps.
And if I still have a little noise, I pull the cushion edges out. Let them flip back.

Hope this helps.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

I got in on an offer from Australia to get the F&P solo.

After using the solo for a few nights now, I am impressed.  I have enjoyed the Resmed P10 for a long time now and that mask is my basis for comparison (in addition to ~6 other failed interface attempts).  

Mask seal:
When I first put on the solo mask, I thought there was no way this would seal.  It felt great and way too loose.  To my surprise, the mask fit function on my cpap device registered a good seal and I felt no leaks.  Objectively, after 5 nights, my average 95% leak rate is 0.2 L/min compared with my 1 year average of 7.47 L/min.  Did I mention this mask is very comfortable?  All other interfaces have been tight to really tight to get a good seal.  Not so with the solo.  I am used to an occasional "mask leak out of no where" in the middle of the night.  This previously required a bit of fiddling to fix which took a while and woke me up.  With the solo, it is a single press on the side that is leaking and back to sleep.

AHI and O2:
AHI avg 5 nights <1 with solo compared with 1yr average of 1.3 likely no change
O2:  ODI 0.1, unchanged

Pros:
Automatic adjustment when putting on the mask
Great seal with light pressure on the nose - feels good!
Very quick and easy adjustment for the middle of the night "leak out of no where"
No change in AHI or O2
Less water use in the humidity chamber means no running the tank dry even starting from min

Cons: (grin) 
Great seal means I had to turn off auto humidity on AS11 for first time.  Changing to next to lowest setting matched the auto for me.  
Not yet available in the US

Hoping this is available in the US soon!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2023, 07:24 AM)slowe Wrote: Hi all,

I got in on an offer from Australia to get the F&P solo.

After using the solo for a few nights now, I am impressed.  I have enjoyed the Resmed P10 for a long time now and that mask is my basis for comparison (in addition to ~6 other failed interface attempts).  

Mask seal:
When I first put on the solo mask, I thought there was no way this would seal.  It felt great and way too loose.  To my surprise, the mask fit function on my cpap device registered a good seal and I felt no leaks.  Objectively, after 5 nights, my average 95% leak rate is 0.2 L/min compared with my 1 year average of 7.47 L/min.  Did I mention this mask is very comfortable?  All other interfaces have been tight to really tight to get a good seal.  Not so with the solo.  I am used to an occasional "mask leak out of no where" in the middle of the night.  This previously required a bit of fiddling to fix which took a while and woke me up.  With the solo, it is a single press on the side that is leaking and back to sleep.

AHI and O2:
AHI avg 5 nights <1 with solo compared with 1yr average of 1.3 likely no change
O2:  ODI 0.1, unchanged

Pros:
Automatic adjustment when putting on the mask
Great seal with light pressure on the nose - feels good!
Very quick and easy adjustment for the middle of the night "leak out of no where"
No change in AHI or O2
Less water use in the humidity chamber means no running the tank dry even starting from min

Cons: (grin) 
Great seal means I had to turn off auto humidity on AS11 for first time.  Changing to next to lowest setting matched the auto for me.  
Not yet available in the US

Hoping this is available in the US soon!

Wow, that is fantastic.  I hope they are able to develop a headgear for the Evora Full one day.  If my Knights Bridge Dual Band Chin Strap prevented mouth leaks I would use the Solo Pillows if and when it is released in the USA.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Columbiabill
I'm following this thread hoping to find a comfortable mask to use. I appreciate your comment.
I've had the Knightsbridge Dual Band Cap for some time. I was over the moon ecstatic when I first used it. It DID resolve and prevent mouth leaks. I have no idea why I can't prevent mouth leaks now. Except I'm older....Please let us know how this combination works for you.
I currently am using an F&P Evora Full full face mask once or twice a month. My every day mask--I'm back to my ResMed N20 nasal mask, medium size. And I tape my lips shut. Every couple of weeks I try my KDB cap. Then go back to tape.

I have 3 of the KDB caps. Two of the first style; one of the cheaper style.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2023, 08:42 AM)DaveL Wrote: @Columbiabill
I'm following this thread hoping to find a comfortable mask to use. I appreciate your comment.
I've had the Knightsbridge Dual Band Cap for some time. I was over the moon ecstatic when I first used it. It DID resolve and prevent mouth leaks.  I have no idea why I can't prevent mouth leaks now. Except I'm older....Please let us know how this combination works for you.
I currently am using an F&P Evora Full full face mask once or twice a month. My every day mask--I'm back to my ResMed N20 nasal mask, medium size. And I tape my lips shut.  Every couple of weeks I try my KDB cap. Then go back to tape.

@DaveL
I used the N20 for the longest time until i started to get abrasions on the bridge of my nose.  I used the KB with the N20 pretty decent results.  I have tried mouth tape and chin up strips and neither one works for me.  I started playing around with other masks; cradels and pillows but mouth leaks began to hit me hard.  I figured maybe it was time to try a FFM.  I tried the Vitera and Evora.  In the end the Evora has worked the best.  I can't keep it as loose as what I would like due to chin tuck and leaks.  When I tighten the Evora to where I don't get a lot of leaks it is on the "strong side" of snug.  When i put my KB strap over the mask/headgear, it tightens it a little more.  I am going to try a soft cervical collar and see if that is a little more comfortable.  I got the Caldera on Amazon.  I do have a travel pillow which I guess would be the same thing, but because it is thicker on the neck side I'm not too sure how it would feel against my pillow since I am a back sleeper.  Maybe I will give that a shot tonight......
Post Reply Post Reply
@Columbiabill

I have a soft cervical mask. Bought it too large. I used the lip tape to wrap around it and make the part under my chin smaller. It worked well for me. Tailor made now!

I have chin straps that never worked, chin straps that worked for a while, and chin straps that worked so well they don't sell them anymore. I thought the KDB cap was the answer. I'd still like it to work. It's the best made cap I've ever had. When I put the KDB over my N20 I have permanent mask strap marks. I need a large N20 if I put the cap on first, then put on my mask.

I had surgery after using a Wisp by Respironics for a long time. Had to have a growth removed.
There are lots of similarities between your experience and mine. I just want treatment to work. myAir just reported that the seal on my mask is the worst I've had in a month. Sleep Apnea treatment is an evil game.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I will be in New Zealand next month. Is it possible for me to buy an F&P Solo mask while I'm there?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes too much hype behind it. If they really spent 10 years like they say making this mask, what a waste of money and time. It's mediocre at best. Auto adjust my bare butt, if you are a side sleeper, good luck getting a seal on the side of the nose you are sleeping on. IF you get a seal you have to push the cradle or pillows so far up/on your nose you end up like ?, yes you might get a seal but won't be able to breathe so what's the point? 2 nights was enough for me to put it with the other 6 unusable ones. Bleep Eclipse and Airtouch with Foam mask are my 2 masks, I alternate
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2023, 08:42 AM)DaveL Wrote: @Columbiabill
I've had the Knightsbridge Dual Band Cap for some time. I was over the moon ecstatic when I first used it. It DID resolve and prevent mouth leaks.  I have no idea why I can't prevent mouth leaks now. Except I'm older....Please let us know how this combination works for you.
I currently am using an F&P Evora Full full face mask once or twice a month. My every day mask--I'm back to my ResMed N20 nasal mask, medium size. And I tape my lips shut.  Every couple of weeks I try my KDB cap. Then go back to tape.

Try the reamed Airtouch F20 with the Foam cushion is the most comfortable FFM out there hands down. If you can do nose the best is Bleep Eclipse ( I tape my mouth with Hostage tape and put either https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E59HX...asin_title or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TK62C?ref...cover+roll+ whichever I grab first on top of the Hostage or Hush tape) and sleep soundly. Some can use any of those 2 tapes without the Hostage tape which is $$ my jaw drop is too strong I need it. Chin straps pull my chin back to much and causes congestion. Can't do collar I'm a disabled side sleeper. Or if Hostage tape is too expensive use https://www.cpap.com/productpage/hush-sleep-strips. Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
@Vako
Thanks.
A thought.
I've had Knightsbridge Dual Band caps for a long time. I was having trouble with them. I've figured out what I've done wrong....fixed it. There's velcro on the cap at the back to tighten it at neck level... Did it up much tighter. Last night I had a score of 0.7 with the cap on and a nasal mask. That's all. Night before it was 0.4 same rig. Night before that I had another nasal mask and my lip tape. Score was 20.0. And the night before was my F&P Evora Full and a soft cervical collar. Score was 16.0

The F&P Solo really interests me; that's why I've been posting here. Only slightly negative comment is the Solo is noisy. Well I'm hard of hearing so that's no big deal. Plan will be to try one when they're in Canada, and use it with Knightsbridge Dual Band Cap.
DaveL
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My experiences with Fisher & Paykel ESON2 Nose Mask braindead 26 5,804 05-04-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: SergioB57
  F&P Solo exhillation port silverdr 0 135 04-22-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: silverdr
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,486 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  F&P Solo Headgear Columbiabill 1 621 12-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  Velcro Issues - Fisher and Paykel Vitera cmpman1974 6 785 08-03-2023, 05:57 PM
Last Post: car54
  [CPAP] seeking OLD clinician manual - Fisher & Paykel HC211 hamiltzp 0 421 07-28-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: hamiltzp
  Stats from old Fisher & Paykel HC234? Marty McSly 3 719 12-19-2022, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Marty McSly

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.