Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your bedtime "stack"
RE: Your bedtime "stack"
Get youngest tucked in to bed, tell a story or read to him, then put on my pjs, make the bed if I didn't make it in the morning, then put on a deep brown noise track on the speakers in the bedroom.

Get a thermos of sparkling water and do some faa107 studying around 8:30pm until 9:00pm-then kill the computer and brush teeth/wash face. I empty out the humidifier tank and rinse it early in the morning, and also wipe down my maskcushion then too. I put it all back together and hang it up by the headboard after lunch.

Takes about 30 minutes of reading until I put on the headgear and linednightcap over it on my head, then I'm out for 8 or 9 hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was an incredibly active child and have struggled somewhat with insomnia during my lifetime also.  I did a lot of research on sleep hygiene 10-15 years ago and it has paid off tremendously.  The basics for me have been:  1. A sustainable routine (creates a long-term habit).  Also, keeping bedtime as consistent as possible each night.  2.  Darkness.  By gradually lowering the lighting in the house towards bedtime, I naturally get sleepier.  (As opposed to increasing light which makes me more alert).  3.  Noise reduction.  Decreasing the noise in the house lets my brain transition from the activities of the day to bedtime sleep - and lets me process what happened that day quicker and let my mind relax).  4. Stop eating anything or drinking anything - these both give me energy.  These 4 things have worked like Pavlov's Classical Conditioning for me. 

My set up routine with my ventilator doesn't take more than a few minutes and has become part of the routine.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
@nightynite

I tried half a serving of that cereal. They should call it Zonk.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, this is good timing.   I’m working on improving my habits, so I’ve been spending time lately thinking through my routines.  (My sleep habits have been poor since I was a child.  I was the youngest in the family and remember thinking that everyone would have fun without me, so I fought going to bed.  As an adult I thought I didn’t need much sleep, only coffee.   Sleep apnea treatment is forcing me change, and that is a good thing.)

ANYWAY, here is what seems to work, though it needs a little tweaking:
1. Stop eating and drinking by 7:00 due to aerophagia 
2. Read or watch a show/movie until 9:00.
3. No iPad or phone use after 9:00
4. Tidy the kitchen.  Leave iPad in kitchen.
5. Take the dog out.
6. Take 300 mcg of time release melatonin, 250 mg magnesium (might increase this), Aleve (sometimes), valerian root (sometimes)
By this point, my husband has turned on the white noise machine.
7. Fill ASV humidifier, set mask, c-collar, and eye mask on nightstand. 
8. Put out clothes for the next day
9. Put on pajamas.   
10. Brush teeth, floss, put in nightguard, wash face.
11.  Read an unexciting paper book in bed with a book light.
12. Arrange pillows and/or incline pillow (really trying to get rid of the incline pillow)
13.  Put on all the apnea fighting gear and go to sleep.

What I need to do is move #7 & 8  to maybe step 4 because my husband goes to bed earlier than I do.  It seems like the more I try to be quiet , the more likely I am to drop something and wake him up.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's so nice to read how real people are prepping.  It's a great topic.

I see melatonin mentioned several times.  I haven't used it in many years but I just picked up a bottle of 5mg dissolving tabs to experiment with - taking 1/2 mid-sleep.  However, swinging melatonin levels seems to be creating short sleep stints.  Perhaps I'll try a timed-release version again.  I really miss knock-out (and stay-out) pills from years ago, which guaranteed a long sleep.  The problem is that people like me might permanently stay asleep if I take my mask off in the middle of the night while heavily sedated.  

I never really have troubles going to sleep, but problems arrive 2-3 hours later, and then it's a bumpy ride for the rest of the night.  To keep my mind from racing away on worries mid-night, these solutions work for me:

- unexciting podcasts on fluffy topics that require no thought processing
- a favorite slow movie drama that you've already watched so many times that you don't need to pay attention to because you already know every word (on a distant darkened screen, of course)
- sometimes some ASMR when I really need distracting

Late evening snacks might include cheeses.  That cereal sure sounds interesting.  I've learned to avoid high fiber cereals at night.  Although it would make me sleepy, the extra stomach air wouldn't be welcome.

Good sleep everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know why I know this because I don't watch Tic Toc, (is that a correct term? . . . Watch Tic Tok? ?
but the latest thing is a drink of tart cherry and magnesium at bedtime.

I am surprised that other people get to bed so late. I thought I was the only one.

Lately I have been trying to change the order of my STACK and start some earlier to get into bed earlier.

I recently discovered that the Libby app allows audiobook play on a timer. I choose a fairly low key book and it will play one chapter. I am not sure if it helps, but it does distract me from the "am I going to sleep tonight " question.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Gee, and I thought a few beers so I'd pass out was the magic ingredient!  Dielaughing
Still huffing on the magic machine. 
Post Reply Post Reply
This is great! So many ideas....

I drag my feet doing the dishes, and that's gotta change.

That cereal @nightynite recommended is a game changer for me! It tastes like Sugar Smacks of old. That's a bit of a downside for me, but compromise is conducive to success.... It seems to make me sleep VERY solidly. Less tossing and turning. More able to get up in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Google "sleep hygiene" and follow what works for you.

I've lived with insomnia for a very, very long time. I go to bed and if not asleep within half hour to hour, I get up.

I also take Ambien or Lunesta to get my brain to shut up on nights it just won't shut up. OMG just stop thinking!

I've also started using an app called Headspace. It isn't cheap, but I'm loving it. I listen to what they call sleepcasts. My fave by far is the Temple Rain. I've tried other listening apps but they never worked. I rarely get very far into Temple Rain before I am out. I've only heard the entire thing maybe twice.

I try to go to bed at the same time each night, so around 1am. I park chair, fill up CPAP tub, take night meds, pee, go to bed. On the way, I say good night to the dogs, tell the cat to go to heck. I surround myself by soft things such as a super soft blanket, even if it is too hot, part of it is in my hand.

Just keep in mind what works for me or the others probably will not work for you. Try the sleep hygiene stuff first. Then branch out from there.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2024, 04:10 PM)Nightynite Wrote: I eat a small bowl of Kashi Honey Almond Flax cereal an hour before bed and It makes me so sleepy that when I lay down I’m out like a light in about 10 minutes, I literally can’t keep my eyes open.
I was so surprised until I googled the benefits of some cereal.  All cereal is not the same though.
Just add a little half and half and I’m good to go.

Do you stay asleep all night or does that just get you to sleep?

I have no problem getting to sleep but will wake up after 3, 4, or 5 hours and sometimes have a hard time getting back to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [CPAP] Dreading bedtime..... sunmanx 6 2,444 09-19-2015, 05:25 PM
Last Post: vsheline
Smile Can't Wait for Bedtime! iSnore 20 5,518 07-31-2015, 08:22 AM
Last Post: iSnore
  Oh yuk, it's bedtime. retired_guy 21 6,641 09-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Peter_C
  [News] Research report on importance of having a regular bedtime grumpycat 8 3,869 06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Zorki1c
  [News] Bedtime regularity predicts CPAP compliance ApneaNews 3 2,906 05-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.