Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow
should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow
My Garmin Vivoactive 5 monitors overnight SPo2 and reports it as low. Typically, 90%, sometimes 80%.
I have a Resmed 10. The pressure is set to 9.8 with a 5 minute ramp. 
My AHI is usually around 3.
Most days I feel tired when I wake up.

Should I change the pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow
Yes, you could do that, but.... there should be a definite reason for doing so.

What sort of apneas are you experiencing? If Central, raising pressure could make it worse.

Download OSCAR and show us a couple charts for review.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose,
I have Oscar, I created a screen shot of last night and saved it as a file
I added the Garmin watch spo2 from last night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board.  I would suggest 2 changes and see how your nights sleep is.,

You have EPR set full time (don't change)  EPE = 1   Change to 3

Change your min to 7  Those changes should help with the sleep disruption.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 

Stacey Burke,
Thanks. I made the changes you suggested, and I am sleeping better. AHI now about 0.1. Fewer wake ups.
But Garmin still says SPO2 is low. Minimum is about 88% around 7 AM.

Do you have any suggestions to improve over night SPO2?

Do you need to see more of the Oscar report.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are spending a fair amount of time below 90, if I'm reading the output right. I'd suggest consulting your doctor and showing him or her the data. The next step might be to use a monitoring device issued by your MD. Possibly he or she will want you to use some supplementary O2 during the night. (Of course it'd also be good to see what your O2 levels are doing during the day.)

On a different subject: I see 5 breaks in therapy here. What causes them?
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo,
I typically wake up every 2 hours or so during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're dealing with low oxygen levels during sleep, you will want doc to know. Maybe you need to ask for a Cap Ox overnight home test to give evidence. You may need to use supplemental oxygen overnight, adding it into the CPAP hose.

The statistic for supplemental oxygen is at or less than 88% SpO2 for 5 minutes.

Again though first thing, contact doc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wake up a lot myself, but I don't stop the machine. You might consider leaving it on and staying masked up.

I do hope you'll see your doctor about the O2 levels. If supplemental O2 is needed, it's a simple matter to bleed it into your CPAP, and people get excellent results from using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2024, 11:47 AM)RichardW Wrote: AHI now about 0.1. Fewer wake ups.
But Garmin still says SPO2 is low.

Do you have any suggestions to improve over night SPO2?

I too bought an oximeter to see what exactly these events were doing to my oxygen. After all, that's one of the main reasons we put up with the PAP treatment, isn't it - because the events cause oxygen desaturation and that's bad for us?

Yet, like you, I am not really seeing any obvious correlation between PAP-marked events and oxygen drops. My events are close to zero every night but my oxygen 'score' varies for no obvious reason from great to poor....from night to night and indeed hour to hour.

The main correlation I am seeing is between oxygen changes and arousals. In other words, most of the noticeable changes in my SpO2 graph coincide with an arousal (usually, but not always, without awakening). I guess that suggests some sort of positional obstruction is going on, though I'd expect that to affect what the CPAP machine sees in terms of flow restrictions and events - yet I don't think it does.

I have now added a camera to my overnight arsenal, to see if that might show me exactly what is triggering the oxygen drops. I only started using it last night, and there is still a lot of room for improvement of how exactly it does its job, but it already finally confirmed one thing for me. The frequent few-second 'blips' I see in the Flow Rate graph which are accompanied by a brief jump in the Movement chart and then a Pulse Rate spike are indeed arousals, as they coincide precisely with me briefly shifting position.

So I'd now like to figure out (a) what causes the arousals and (b) what is really affecting my desat level.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure? PaulaO2 16 3,392 04-19-2024, 04:17 AM
Last Post: jiyun
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 283 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Question [Equipment] How does the CSV extract from Wellue SpO2 ring look like? Ayush Shrivastava 2 211 04-05-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Ayush Shrivastava
  Going it alone-help me with my settings and SpO2 desats Papgirl 4 320 03-31-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 651 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 319 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 976 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.