Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

0 AHI but not getting enough sleep
0 AHI but not getting enough sleep
After my first 3 weeks of using a CPAP, I’ve gotten my AFI down to 0 on some nights, and 2 on others (down from 14.8 AHI when I started). However, I’m not getting enough hours of sleep each night. I wake up after 4 or 5 hours for seemingly no reason - no events shown on Oscar, breathing fine. The lack of sleep has me feeling much worse than before I started on the CPAP.

I’m using AirSense 11 with ResMed nose mask. I started my 1st two weeks with ResMed full face mask because I’m a lifelong mouth breather, but I constantly felt starved for air. Switching to the nose mask brought me down to 0AHI - the nose mask keeps my sinuses clear due to the pressure, which has been awesome. 

So, what should I look at in Oscar to determine why I keep waking up?

Thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 0 AHI but not getting enough sleep
The experts will get you going in no time. But you need the Oscar chart posted correctly and keep all your questions and charts in this thread. Read the wiki and Oscar up top and follow the directions on how and what to post. Welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
Boboli,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

I suspect that your minimum pressure is too low.   For more targeted advice, post a couple nights data from the daily chart in OSCAR.

Follow this tutorial is set up your charts and post here.  

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...pnea_Board
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are 3 days. I omitted New Year's Eve. Got to bed late & woke up too early.

I seem to wake up at 5am every day, which is unusual for me and not enough sleep. I lay in bed with the mask on for a few more hours trying in vain to get back to sleep.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Boboli,
Although your AHI is great, there's more to consider than just AHI. I think it could just be a comfort thing or a feeling of not getting enough air.

If you're willing, let's try this:

Minimum pressure: 7cm
Maximum pressure: 12cm
EPR set at 2 or 3 (use what feels comfortable)

The reasoning is with a minimum pressure of 5, you are likely to feel "air starved" at some point in the night.

Also, right now you have EPR set at 3, but you're not receiving the full benefit with a pressure of 5. (5-3 = 2) The cpap can't drop pressure that low.

Your leak rate isn't bad at all, but it does look like you are having some mask movement.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick reply. Last night I did actually try the exact settings you suggested based on reading through the forum a bunch. Unfortunately, I must have taken the mask off around 1:30am (I don’t remember - mask was on the floor when I woke up). That hasn’t happened before. I usually get through the night with the mask on.

I’ve tried 7-12 before with about the same results - waking up around 3 or 5am for no apparent reason.

I think a lot of the mask leaks happen after I actually wake up. When I’m sleeping, I’m pretty still and the mask stays sealed. When I wake up at 3 or 5, I shift around trying to get back to sleep with the mask on, and scratching my nose, adjusting the mask, etc. etc
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep position affecting sleep test AHI/OSA classification Fox66 7 304 06-21-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 8 828 05-21-2024, 03:06 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 5 492 04-30-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 426 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 419 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,767 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 1,014 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.