Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1 Year of Therapy Still Dealing With Fatigue and Headaches
1 Year of Therapy Still Dealing With Fatigue and Headaches
Hello!

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea 40/AHI roughly a year ago. I was first put on a cpap machine but no matter what settings I used it was not lowering my AHI and I was having severe bloat issues with the higher pressures. I was switched over to a BiPap after about 4 months and have been on that since. I have noticed a slight difference in feeling better throughout the day but not much. I am still very fatigued and either wake up with headaches or get one later in the day.

Have been reading a ton on forums and online and have tried my best to mess with my settings myself but haven't had much luck in fixing my sleep. Was hoping somewhere here could guide me in the right direction to help get the full benefits from my therapy. 

Setting currently being used:
IPAP: 12.6
EPAP: 7.4
PS: 4
Trigger: High
Cycle: Med

I have attached my OSCAR data from last night's sleep below. Thank you in advance for any help

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 1 Year of Therapy Still Dealing With Fatigue and Headaches
Have you tried setting the trigger to very high? That should help some with the CA’s.

I would not change pressure at the moment. Let’s see how things respond to the trigger change and go from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the suggestion! I will change it tonight to "very high" and report back with the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Results from last night with trigger set on "very high"

Woke up several times throughout the night turning the machine off then restarting it when I was ready to try and sleep again

O2 drops are my biggest concern, no matter what I try to do I can not stabilize it and there is always lots of fluctuation.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Things look good from a settings perspective. Quite nice flow rate in fact. I do not think your wake-ups are related to the CPAP, at least as far as settings go.

Which O2 drops are you referring? The ones in the chart look quite good and well in the acceptable range.
Post Reply Post Reply
The spikes down where it gets to the low 90's. I had assumed one point of therapy was to stabilize oxygen sats and keep a consistent "flow".

I know some happened when I didn't have the mask on which makes sense but the drops around 11pm, 3am, 7am are all under cpap, which I had assumed would eliminate that from happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
The low point are artifacts.  When a 4 sec point drops and then returns to your average value, you can disregard them.  SpO2 levels do not fluctuate that rapidly. The body acts like a storage battery, so it will be a more graceful change.

Remember, when you go looking for problems, you will find them.  The main problems will find you.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not think there is anything there to be concerned about as almost all are just a brief drop. You have excellent tidal volume, so plenty of O2 is getting into your lungs. Your median SpO2 is 97%, which is very good for being awake, let alone during sleep.

I suggest continuing with the current settings and looking at it again in a few days to a week or more. I do not see anything here to be tilting at windmills.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is average hours per year on CPAP machine? sleepingbetterinFl 1 101 07-10-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Narcil
Gross 27 y.o. male, new to CPAP, AHI<2, extreme fatigue fitandfatigued97 6 189 07-09-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: fitandfatigued97
Question [CPAP] One year in, puzzled by OSCAR data sleepyvet 1 175 06-25-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  No Improvement in Fatigue karnote54 13 518 06-03-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: karnote54
Question [CPAP] Intense Fatigue - Seeking Advice: CPAP Data Analysis PerplexedTom 35 1,920 05-28-2024, 09:48 PM
Last Post: PerplexedTom
  64 year old male looking for guidance with adaptation to CPAP wvdthree 7 374 05-27-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 60 5,074 05-25-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: leono85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.