Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2 Months In For CPAP Treatment - Getting Centrals
2 Months In For CPAP Treatment - Getting Centrals
Hi everyone,
New to the board and trying to optimize my Airsense 11 for central events. After 2 months, I've seen progress:
  • Started with high pressure, EPR 3, ramp on: AHI avg 12-18 (all centrals)
  • Lowered pressure to 7, kept EPR 3, ramp on: AHI avg under 10
  • Changed EPR to 1: AHI avg moved to 8
  • Turned EPR off 2 nights ago: AHI currently unchanged
Current settings are pressure 7, ramp on from 5, EPR off. AHI average 8, but I'm aiming for 5 or less.
Any suggestions for further improvement? Do I need more time to acclimate?

Last night's screenshot.

Here is a screenshot narrowing in on what appears to be a cluster of centrals.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 2 Months In For CPAP Treatment - Getting Centrals
The CS's might lean more toward Obstructive.  Did Central Apnea show up on a sleep study?  

If they are Obstructives, this would be more in line with Positional Apnea.  This happens if you're sleeping in a way that allows your head to tilt forward into your chest, thus cutting off your air.  You may want to look into wearing a soft cervical collar.
Learn more about this HERE.

Also, be sure you're only using one pillow vs. two if sleeping on your back.  Note that chin tucking can occur while on your side too.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you OpalRose! Sleep study report for one night had 18 events, 17 obstructive and 1 central.

I just tried the test of sitting relaxed and allowing my chin to drop to my chest. I would say I have very little ability to get air in and out.

Going to try the soft cervical collar.  Willing to explore any path to dial this in and get results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok. Great! Be sure to measure properly for the collar. Measure circumference of your neck and add a couple inches.
Also measure from under the chin to the sternum. You don't want it to be too tall or too short.
Amazon has a lot of choices.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OpalRose

Picked up a cervical collar. One night of use. I think it is helping. Got the lowest central score since using the CPAP. Screen shots. I really appreciate your assistance!

More detail

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That looks a lot better.

Be aware of your leak rate. Although, it's not high enough that it would affect the ability of the machine to detect apneas, the leaks look to be somewhat consistent with the apneas.

The spikey areas on the leak graph indicate mask movement. A slight adjustment on the lower mask straps may be needed or even a different size nasal pillow.

Keep up with the collar, as it seems to have made a difference.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose! I am currently working on the mask leaks and also trying out additional collars for comfort and efficacy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] On CPAP for 3 months and still exhausted please HELP!! Willrule88 5 127 7 hours ago
Last Post: Dormeo
  Months of CPAP use and feeling more fatigued senseisaitama 4 120 Yesterday, 11:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Treatment] Seeking optimal treatment please help Xboxrrod 0 65 Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Xboxrrod
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 879 66,423 Yesterday, 10:17 AM
Last Post: snorybob
  Treatment Emergent Central Apnea mikesj 13 648 09-09-2024, 07:10 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  [CPAP] 8 months in and could still use help papjourney 1 129 09-08-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 30 4,655 09-08-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.