Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice Needed With Settings and Deciphering OSCAR Data
Advice Needed With Settings and Deciphering OSCAR Data
Hello Fellow Sleep Apnea Folks!

I've had my AirSense 11 since 2022 but I am finally being diligent with using it regularly. I have been trying to titrate my machine over the past couple of nights and was hoping for some advice regarding my OSCAR data. I mainly suffer for OSA, my apnea events were around 25 AHI according to my sleep study. I have been averaging bewteen 5-7 when using my machine but I still feel exhausted in the morning with the addition of a poor memory and brain fog. I am hoping to lower my AHI as much as possible to achieve the best sleep and overall health as possible. 

Any advice you lovely individuals could provide would be fantastic, I have included my screenshot of my OSCAR results below. I believe I followed the OSCAR guide correctly so they should be in the proper format but please let me know if they need to be adjusted. I look forward to corresponding with you all and look forward to hearing your guidance on this matter.

- WhatIsRemSleep

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice Needed With Settings and Deciphering OSCAR Data
It looks to be flow limitations driving up the pressure. With those swings no wonder you are feeling a dogs breakfast. 

First thing we need to do is get the FL’s down. Try the following settings:

Min pressure 10
Max pressure 15 
EPR 3 full-time
No ramp

That should be more comfortable. It should reduce the FL’s, which will help stabilise the pressure swings. 

You also exhibit positional apnoea in the OA clusters, likely from chin-tucking. A flatter pillow would be the first step, but trying a soft cervical collar should help as well. I use the Caldera Releaf, but others like the Core or Velpeau. That should help with the clusters of OA events.

You can read more information on these wiki pages:

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...cal_Collar

Give it a try a few nights and let us know how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much! I changed my settings to your recommendations and I will update you in a few days Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I see you've received some solid advice.  

Please read through the link on Positional Apnea.
https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea

You will notice the correlation between your chart and the examples shown in the link, by the "clumps" of apnea (Obstructives).

You are sleeping in a way that is cutting off your air.  This can be caused from using more than one bed pillow or too tall of a pillow that will cause your head to tilt forward.
This can happen sleeping on your side too by allowing your head to tuck into your chest.
Try different pillows or positions of sleep, anything that you can use to keep your chin up and not allow your head to drop into your chest.

By fixing the positional apnea, you will notice a difference in your numbers and how you feel.

I think using the pressure settings suggested above will help... especially EPR which will bring FL down.

Post a revised chart when ready.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate the further responses and these were my results from last night! I purchsed a soft cervical collar today and will use it tonight to see how it effects the positional apnea that you both have mentioned.

Post Reply Post Reply
You will find using EPR more comfortable, and it can provide some "boost" or pressure support when you inhale. In addition to the collar, turning EPR on, full-tiome at setting 3 will improve your results once positional apnea is resolved.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wore the cervical collar last night for the first time and my AHI was higher than it has been in a while. Was hoping someone could explain what me next steps should be and if I need to adjust my settings further Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
What collar are you using? Can you describe the fit and whether you can get your chin behind the support?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a TENSOR Brand "Soft Cervical Collar" with Moderate support and its adjustable. My chin was resting over the edge of the collar and I was able to fit two fingers underneath so it wouldn't be overly tight
Post Reply Post Reply
Bit of an update, I took a small 2 hour nap earlier today to see the results without the collar and my apneas were lower. Although it was a short sample size, im wondering if I should still give the collar another shot or possibly purchase a different style/brand of collar?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Oscar Data after pressure adjustment Tabster 5 115 23 minutes ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help analyzing OSCAR data - CA's? alemon 37 1,495 3 hours ago
Last Post: quiescence at last
  New to OSCAR, need some help understanding my data sleepadventure 10 444 Today, 02:56 AM
Last Post: sleepadventure
  Simulate BiPAP with APAP for more data – Need Advice cyberfiche 3 102 09-17-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: cyberfiche
  [CPAP] Self treating: Advice for tuning after first night OSCAR data? citrus1 13 456 09-16-2024, 10:25 PM
Last Post: citrus1
  [CPAP] Help interpreting OSCAR data andersh 0 91 09-15-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: andersh
  Help Needed to Understand Arousals ravman 3 218 09-14-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: ravman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.