Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help With Calibrating
Help With Calibrating
Hello,

I've been using CPAP for around two months and do not feel great still. I went out and bought an SD card to try and get more detailed data. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions? I know the leak rate is very high, I got a mask liner and keep the mask clean. I don't know why it leaks so much, I've kept it tighter, I've kept it loser, nothing works. I've tried three different masks all with the same problem. I'm getting really frustrated and don't know what to do.

Masks I've used previously are: N20, N30i, P30i.

The F30i I am currently using feels great, I like the minimal contact. But maybe it just won't work for me with this high leak rate. I am a woman so maybe even the small masks are still big for me and I need to tighten them more?

Any advice is really appreciated I don't know how to make this therapy better for me. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help With Calibrating
Please post a Screenshot including the statistics in the left sidebar.

Follow these instructions for formatting:

Set your display to the Standard view.  
(View > Reset Graphs > Standard)
Take a screenshot of your Daily screen.
   * For Windows or Linux: Use the F12 key
   * For a Mac: Use Fn+F12  

Unfortunately, finding a mask fit is the hardest part of therapy.  If that isn't right, nothing else will fall into place.  

Which mask were you wearing in the graphs you posted?  

It's hard to say, but the leak graph looks to be a combination of mask movement and mouth breathing.

Double check that the mask headgear itself isn't too large.  I've used the P30i and had to order a small instead of standard.  

Read the Mask Primer

Especially this:  https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph..._Jeffy1958
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thank you!
Updated screenshot here. 
I was wearing an F30i mask in these screenshots. I only have detailed data for this mask so far because I just got an SD card.
My headgear is definitely all small size, I don't even bother trying standard because with the small I have to tighten it quite a bit for it to stay on my face. Maybe the problem is just i need a new mask. It's just frustrating me to keep trying them with no real improvement in my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for reposting your chart.  

I understand the frustration of trying different masks and the costs associated.  If you look through the Supplier List at top of page, some of the vendors offer a 30 day trial with masks in which they will reimburse you (minus shipping) if it doesn't work out.  

Have you tried using EPR at all?  It could help with comfort and breathing out against pressure regardless of mask used.  
EPR also helps with controlling flow limitation.  

If you are willing, try EPR set at 2. Set minimum pressure to 8cm. Try that for a night or two, and repost.

Keep working on getting leaks under control.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I will definitely take a look through the supplier list, that's super helpful! My headgear size is definitely small but I am thinking my cushion sizes are off. I printed out some size guides and I seem in-between small and medium sizes, going to size up to medium cushion and see if that helps at all!
I will also change my settings, I think EPR sounds great

Thank you again
Post Reply Post Reply
The leak thing can be annoying especially when you're a noob.

Where EXACTLY is your mask leaking? Everything depends.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is leaking out the sides that seal to my cheeks. The EPR definitely helped last night.
I just got a bigger size for the cushion and from trying it on it seems MUCH better. Very hopeful it will work well tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suspected UARS - need help calibrating settings shenstone 4 1,267 01-17-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: shenstone
  [CPAP] Calibrating? patsea 3 6,361 10-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.