Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread
RE: Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread
Update:
Inserting the stent has become a simple two-minute procedure. The throat pain is gone, but slight irritation remains while the stent is in. However, it does not hinder swallowing during sleep. Hence, there is no saliva accumulation in the mouth, and mucus production is gone, too.
Details
Strictly left-slide sleep with fully inserted hybrid stent
Optimized CPAP pillow thickness
Soft collar
Taped mouth
Dotted lines on the pressure plot: 95% and median pressures
Observations
The exhalation flow is less bumpy at higher pressures.
Reducing the minimum pressure from 6 to 4 cm H2O (on Febr 25) reduced the median pressure.
The median pressure average is 5.48 cm H2O from Febr 25 to March 6

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Additions to the above comment
At low pressures, the sent cannot keep the flow channel open during exhaling, or there are flow limitations in the lower channels.
What do you think?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
G. Szabo, it's amazing to hear that your ability to tolerate the stent has improved so much! Are you actually able to sleep throughout the night with it now?

From your latest OSCAR screenshots, it seems like there are still some "events" happening. However, they seem to be much improved in both frequency and severity vs. not using the stent. Would you say that is accurate?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2024, 10:11 AM)jdip Wrote: ... it seems like there are still some "events" happening. However, they seem to be much improved in both frequency and severity vs. not using the stent. Would you say that is accurate?

Hi jdip, 

Yes, it is accurate. My tolerance improved, and I could use it all night without extra mucus or saliva accumulation. Significant progress. Most importantly, the palatal prolapse pattern (which was my main concern) disappeared. I slept well for over two weeks, But I am still working on the other issues you mentioned.

The median pressure is also lower, which was important for me, too. 

However, it is clear that the stent is not able to resolve the inhalation limitation, which is probably caused by my tongue. It will need some other device.

Best

Post Reply Post Reply
G.szabo, congrats on your progress! Enviable results.

Re the screenshots on post 22 - these are flagged as clear airway events, and to this untrained eye, appear that way. The little jaggedy flow patterns are the Resmed sending out little pulses to determine whether your airway is open or closed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2024, 03:41 PM)BKeeper Wrote: The little jaggedy flow patterns are the Resmed sending out little pulses to determine whether your airway is open or closed.

Thank you, Bkeeper, for commenting on the CA pattern. I was wondering about these pulses but could not figure out their origin. 

I also appreciated your encouraging comments and suggestions and all the things I have learned on this forum,  which helped me overcome some of the difficulties I have been facing. 

Best
Post Reply Post Reply
G.Szabo, I'm happy to have been some help, and that you are getting some great results. How's your sleep now?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2024, 07:25 PM)BKeeper Wrote:  ... Wrote:  How's your sleep now?

Thank you, BKeeper, for your your interest. 

I have been using CPAP/APAP for so long that I cannot even remember what it would be like to sleep without any devices. So, I can differentiate only between bad and not-so-bad days. The prolapse has been resolved, which is no small feat, but other issues, such as periodic breathing patterns accompanied by some CAs and hypopneas, remain. Overall, I am grateful when I compare my situation to some of the more serious problems others experience on this forum. 

I am currently exploring alternative approaches to reduce the mean pressure and minimize the risk of glaucoma triggered by CPAP treatment. 

Best
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2024, 08:44 PM)G. Szabo Wrote: I have been using CPAP/APAP for so long that I cannot even remember what it would be like to sleep without any devices. So, I can differentiate only between bad and not-so-bad days. The prolapse has been resolved, which is no small feat, but other issues, such as periodic breathing patterns accompanied by some CAs and hypopneas, remain. Overall, I am grateful when I compare my situation to some of the more serious problems others experience on this forum. 

That's great news to hear that the prolapse issue has been resolved, at least. Would you say there has been a noticeable improvement in your quality of sleep with the stent?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2024, 10:08 PM)jdip Wrote: Would you say there has been a noticeable improvement in your quality of sleep with the stent?

Definitely!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread Abdulfakih 123 5,174 7 hours ago
Last Post: Abdulfakih
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 3,002 416,061 9 hours ago
Last Post: CpapCamper
  MildOSAHighRera's therapy tuning thread MildOSAHighRera 17 1,228 09-30-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: THEVGE
  HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread HenryECole81 31 1,030 09-29-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [split] TinySteve - Therapy Thread TinySteve 14 711 09-26-2024, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  evanms17 Therapy Thread evanms17 24 1,424 09-24-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: evanms17
  MadFox - Therapy Help Thread MadFox 17 899 09-24-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: MadFox

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.