Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Both OA's and CA's Significantly Reduced, but AHI still far above 5. Tips?
Both OA's and CA's Significantly Reduced, but AHI still far above 5. Tips?
I was diagnosed in mid-June of this year after a Lofta Sleep Study. I had 65 obstructive events an hour and 29 central events an hour. The doctor recommended the AirCurve 10 VAuto Bilevel device, which I've been using for about three weeks. It hasn't been too much trouble getting used to, and I've settled into a fairly consistent AHI pattern. I've attached a screenshot of my OSCAR data from last night, which is fairly representative of my data each night. As you can see, my obstructive events are way down (under five!) and my central events make up the majority of my overall events, but they're down significantly as well. Given the fact that the BiPap is primarily used to treat obstructive events, but it also seems to be making somewhat of an impact on my centrals, is there much else to hope for besides getting my obstructive events down even further? Is getting all events under five possible with this machine? 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Both OA's and CA's Significantly Reduced, but AHI still far above 5. Tips?
There are 2 things you can look at.  First You are having some of positional apnea.  Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two.

Positional Apnea is showing grouped O or H apnea.

You can change your trigger setting to high or very high.  I did that and it helped my central a great deal but I had no where near as many as you do.  That is in the clinical setting.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] New user looking for tuning, tips, and advice cjt324 3 231 09-28-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  One week into treatment, any tips? lendenti 3 281 08-28-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: lendenti
  Tips for adapting set up when traveling RedNailz 2 252 08-16-2024, 01:04 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  [CPAP] Looking for Tips on Using Data to Optimize My Sleep Apnea Treatment woives 10 571 07-15-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: woives
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 74 4,941 07-02-2024, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  xPAP tuning tips for PB / CA R and R 0 230 06-11-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: R and R
  Any tips for overnight bathroom trip? Mask back on? AJBU 3 460 06-08-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.