Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Am I silly? I use my ResMed AirMini all the time now
Am I silly? I use my ResMed AirMini all the time now
I'm 74 and have severe Apnea (diagnosed by formal Sleep Studies years ago). I've used ResMed CPAPs, one model after another for over 20 years. I have the 10 Autoset and an AirMini. After going on a few extensive holidays overseas and using the AirMini, I found it so simple to use, and it did the job of giving me high quality sleep that I simply began to use it every night at home as well. I know the phone app isn't recording anything, but each morning it tells me the only things I need to know - how long I slept and was the mask seal good.

Am I being a bit dumb by not going back to my 10 at the bedside - or even buying a new 11?
I would like to hear some of your opinions, or advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Am I silly? I use my ResMed AirMini all the time now
No it's not dumb. If you're sleeping well and don't need to see any detailed statistics, then you should be fine.

But..... should the AirMini break down and you need a newer machine, you won't have any proof of use for Medicare to approve a newer machine. Just something to think about.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, OpalRose. That is a point I never considered. Does anyone know how much Medicare covers of the cost of a new one? What sort of proof do they need?

I may need to switch back to my Airsense 10 for a while, if that is the case.
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare in Australia dont cover CPAPs. Do they?
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a way to get proof of usage with the AirMini.  On the App, you can periodically upload your data to Resmed and then your DME can run reports for you.  I originally bought an AirMini prior to my first sleep study as I knew I needed it as part of recovery from surgery.  I used it exclusively for about 2 months before the sleep study and prescription.  The only reason I went to an AirSense 11 was because of the additional data it gives you on the SD Card.

I love my AirMini and still use it when I travel.

Depending on where you purchased it, that DME can run reports for you.  I originally purchased mine from an on-line supplier, and all I have to do is to call the sales department and they have access to the resmed data and run reports for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare Australia
You can get some payment for electricity
https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/eli...text=21831
Post Reply Post Reply
If it works for you, just about any CPAP you're consistently using always beats one you're not.
Post Reply Post Reply
So true.
But I'm going to thoroughly clean my ResMed 10, and use it again for a while just to see if it does give me any better results - it's more than a year now since I used it.

By the way, any AirMini users, remember to clean and replace your filter in the machine. I forgot to, and suddenly, the autoStop ceased to function - I had to shut it down after I took off my mask from the App. Then I cleaned the filter, and it began working again. I'm kicking myself for forgetting and not doing it for so long.
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as you're getting effective treatment, it doesn't matter. I can't comment on the insurance implications, but just make sure your therapy isn't compromised, and under such circumstances I don't see anything else to critique.
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased the Air Mini due to my job involves extensive travel. I tried every mask, hose etc to no avail. For some reason it made me sneeze. My husband counted and I sneezed 100 times one morning after waking up! Finally gave up as I could not continue to sneeze uncontrollably in addition to developing sores on the inside of my nostrils. I purchased the Air Sense 11 and for some reason the sneezing has stopped. My dr said he had never seen anything like it in the years he has been treating his patients. After much trial and error we figured I cannot use nasal pillow masks and have to have the kind of headgear where the air comes in at the top of the mask instead of directly into my nose. I think the humidity also helps. So until ResMed makes the N30i with the Humid X compatible with the Air Mini I am stuck schlepping the full size machine all over the world!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 151 7,067 Yesterday, 06:34 AM
Last Post: Taylor2
  [CPAP] Please help, first time analyzing my oscar data napnea 3 182 09-13-2024, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  1 year on CPAP, still tired all the time joelin02 5 493 09-10-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Equipment] AirMini Mask question countrydirt 1 409 09-03-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Geezerbunny
  [Diagnosis] OSCAR Assessment and AirMini? bhallw 0 174 08-27-2024, 03:05 PM
Last Post: bhallw
  First Time Poster, need advice for new machine! kbjames 7 413 08-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Trying Bilevel for first time - need help! sleepquality 4 354 08-18-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: sleepquality

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.