Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] OSCAR Data
OSCAR Data
Hello,

I'm trying to fine-tune my CPAP machine as I haven't been getting much help from my doctor. I'm including screenshots from last night's sleep and I've been feeling really tired overall. I'm hoping that someone can help me with the settings of my machine to determine best steps forward. I am using the Evora full face mask and also a chin strap. I've been debating trying to switch to using tape to cover my mouth, but waned to see if any of the information from my OSCAR data could help if there are any settings that I need to change. 

Thank you for the help! I've really been struggling to feel fully rested for quite a while. 

***  Moderator Note: Corrupted image removed  ***
Images can not be inserted directly into a post or hosted from a personal computer.
Please upload apnea related images (only) to the Apnea Board server, or use an image hosting service for all others.  
Please read this link for further information:  "How to: Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board" .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR Data
Two things I that would help.  First you need to set the EPR to Full time, set EPR 3.  The second is you have a few positional apnea.  You can see positional apnea where either H or Oa events are clustered together.  Getting rid of as many as you can will lower your AHI.  Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response staceyburke. Sorry for my delay in response. I checked the settings for EPR to full time and EPR 3 and both looked like they were already at that setting. Is there any other setting I need to adjust? Does it show in Oscar that those settings aren't in fact set to full time and EPR 3? Thank you.

Regarding the positional apnea, I've been racking my brain trying to figure this one out. I tend to try to fall asleep on my back as I had heard that that is best when wearing CPAP. I also have some should problems that prevent me from sleep on my side for too long, but that is my preference. I could very well be tucking my chin at night, is there any way to prevent that?

I was hoping you could provide insight as to how to possibly stop the positional apnea and if you could review my data from last night as well. 

Thank you for your help!

Richard

Post Reply Post Reply
IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two.

You have the min set to 4 and that is as low as it can go.  Because of this your EPR is not doing much.  Raise the min to 7 and the EPR will work for you.  Exhale is the min if no EPR.   Exhale is the min - EPR when EPR is set.

min 7 EPR 3= exhale 4 Lowest a cpap can go
min 4 EPR 3= exhale 4 Lowest a cpap can go.  so at this setting the EPR is doing nothing.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again for your response. 

I've adjusted my minimum pressure to 7 instead of 4. 

Based on these results, is it still advisable for me to get a cervical collar? I currently am using a chin strap as I'm a mouth-breather. I've been debating switching from the Evora and using only nose pillows such as a P30i and using mouth tape. I'm assuming this wouldn't address my events that I'm having? The AHI I currently have doesn't seem to be super high, so I'm guessing that my current setup is working fairly well and why the cervical collar could help?

Any insights are appreciated!

Post Reply Post Reply
Just following up, thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello richardb123,

Your chart is alright, but EPR at 3 fulltime is still limiting apnea/hypopnea control with your minimum pressure at 7cm, and I believe that those leak spikes are related to your mask being moved (or opening your mouth) because the pressure is inappropriate for your therapy, so please turn EPR down to 1 for tonight, and make sure ramp is off. I'd like you to move to no EPR but this is the first step to getting there. Can you please also verify that ramp is off?

Also, I've tried to use a chin strap and nasal pillows/nasal mask but I could not and have to move to full face-and I can't tape because of a mustache. I think you should try a full face asap. The airfit F20, the F&P vitera, or the F40 are all great but you'll have to experiment. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Help with analyzing OSCAR data please? Finallysleeping 2 79 3 hours ago
Last Post: Finallysleeping
  New to Oscar, please help me understand the data. Stray 11 400 10 hours ago
Last Post: Stray
  Help analyzing OSCAR data - CA's? alemon 43 1,954 Yesterday, 11:56 AM
Last Post: alemon
  OSCAR Data - Low AHI but still not feeling great, and are these real OA events? Santino 4 138 Yesterday, 07:13 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Oscar data - first 3 nights Pugilist555 1 75 09-26-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  OSCAR Data Review Mcca21 4 197 09-26-2024, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Oscar Data gohoos1998 3 201 09-24-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.