Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help Me Understand Flow Limitations!
Help Me Understand Flow Limitations!
Hello,

On the whole my sleep seems much better than it was vs not using CPAP, however everytime i look at my Oscar data my Flow Limitations look really high. What does this mean (ELI5 please!) and is there a way to try and improve this?  Two screenshots attached, both the same day (last night) but one zoomed into a particular cluster of FLs. This is a standard night of FLs.

I'm using a Lowenstein prisma, Min 7, max 20, EPR (called softPAP on this machine)  is 1.

Thanks in advance! 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Me Understand Flow Limitations!
I can't be much help with the machine you are using.  But I will try to answer your question.  To start with FL are apnea they are to short in duration (at least 10 seconds) to be counted in the AHI but they do disrupt sleep and may wake you up.  On a resmed we turn up the EPR to control them but with these I think they are positional in nature.  So what that means is they are happening because of the position you are sleeping in.  Many people get these when sleeping on their backs.  It is also known as chin tucking when your chin drops down to your sternum - cutting down the flow of air.  If you can't stop them then you could use a collar and I have collars linked in my signature at the bottom of this post.  A collar keeps the chin up and by doing that stops FL.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Me Understand Flow Limitations!
Here is a wiki article from ApneaBoard about your machine:  Lowenstein PrismaLine optimization
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing flow limitations Made 15 277 1 hour ago
Last Post: katbrat
  Unusual flow estgad 3 41 1 hour ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Can someone explain how EPR reduces flow limitation? obstructedairway101 27 847 Yesterday, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow Rate/Limitation Question gr3gg0 10 338 10-25-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  flow limitation due to poistion ? obstructedairway101 7 284 10-24-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ruffybirdy
  My Wife is New to CPAP and trying to understand these Charts acharris77 4 180 10-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  EPR 1, hight flow limit, but lots of CA throwaway1242 8 330 10-19-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.