Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trigger Settings - Aircurve 10
Trigger Settings - Aircurve 10
Hello All,

So I have settled in the last 35 days using the same settings on my Aircurve 10. 16.0/12.0 and all the default settings in S-mode. After 6 months of trying different pressures, trigger settings to 'High' and TiMax set to 2.5, I decided to go back to the original settings recommended to me by TheLankyLefty when I met with him last September.

Question: Is there ever any reason we would change Trigger settings from the default of 'Med' to 'High' besides for a large about of CA events? Curious to what folks on this board think. Thanks in advance for any help with this. I have attached a few screenshots of my OSCAR results recently.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trigger Settings - Aircurve 10
The medium trigger setting is right for most people, but high and very-high trigger helps with CA events when those are an issue. If you can detect a comfort difference between the settings that may also affect your decision. Higher trigger settings often mitigate the loss of respiratory drive from pressure support or increased ventilation, and as an individual adapts to PS, that higher trigger may not be needed. On the other hand, I almost can't think of a circumstance that is improved with lower sensitivity settings. You seem to have a pretty good grasp on what works in your therapy, and I see no reason to question that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SleepRider for your advice as usual. I was wondering if over time a trigger setting of high or very high could cause people to depend more on the machine to trigger a breath rather than their own respiratory drive.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the VAuto, AutoSet, ASV, ST, were in the ventilator class with the accompanying settings and capabilities, maybe dependence can be an issue. These CPAP based machines do not drive your respiration, they do require spontaneous input, excluding the time settings on ST.

And I didn't mention ST-A which is between CPAP and ventilator classes. It has the footprint of CPAP but some capabilities of a ventilator class, but more limited in maximum pressure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bigguybri, I don't think dependency is a problem. Even very-high trigger setting requires spontaneous effort to trigger IPAP, and that is not going to affect dependency. All of us depend on the stent positive air pressure provides, and most of us are more comfortable with pressure support than without. Pressure support does not cause the breath at the levels used in spontaneous bilevel, but can make respiration easier by mitigating flow limitation and providing lower expiratory pressure. Any of us with severe OSA would be very reluctant to give up PAP, so however you define dependency, I suppose we are to some extent, but I've never heard of someone that stopped breathing because they didn't have PAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV: Central Apnea Not Relieved RVSleeper 50 1,907 09-13-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: RVSleeper
  Seeking Advice on BiPAP AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings for Upper Airway Resistance Syndro chacha897d 1 223 09-07-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [Equipment] Can I use Aircurve 10 ASV (PaceWave CS) instead of an Aircurve 10 Vauto ? Gillyweed 7 245 09-06-2024, 01:28 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
Information [CPAP] Aircurve 11 Oscar Chart WeaponizedCactus 7 277 09-05-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Squealing Resmed AirCurve ASV FE350 2 133 09-03-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: FE350
  AHI very high after switching from Dreamstation to Aircurve 10 mu50256 15 573 08-25-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992
  carnuntum - Switching from Prisma APAP to Aircurve bi-level therapy carnuntum 8 1,469 08-16-2024, 05:19 AM
Last Post: carnuntum

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.