Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Negative impacts of bipap therapy?
Negative impacts of bipap therapy?
Hi all! 

I’m about 2 months into treatment and while things are going decently well - I’ve taken to the mask/machine, AHI is low- I’ve started to notice some negative things and wonder if anyone has had similar experience? 

1) acne is worse, and not just where the mask/frame hits my face 
2) I’ve gained about 15lb and feel starving all the time 
3) menstrual changes 

No, I’m not pregnant. 

Help? I know hormones flux when you start therapy but I thought things were supposed to go in a positive direction, not all down hill.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Negative impacts of bipap therapy?
It is common knowledge that patients with untreated apnea eventually and steadily gain weight. It is less known that a successful apnea treatment with CPAP results in a quick weight gain. There is a YouTube wide out there by an MD who explains it. Hence, it is not the bipap but the success of the treatment that matters.   

A significant weight change is also associated with hormonal changes, which explains your symptoms. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Negative impacts of bipap therapy?
Interesting….

CPAP affects my face, but almost the opposite to you, i.e., it plumps out my aging skin because it blasts moisture on my face.

Also, hormones mystify me.

But, here’s what I can suggest right off the bat. Change whatever you are using to clean your mask, humidifier, and tubes. I use baby shampoo to wash my face, and Dawn to clean the CPAP bits and bobs. IME those are about as mild as you can go and get clean. Use a separate washtub for the cleaning (I use a collapsible one from Ikea that fits in my tray cabinet in the kitchen). Give the parts a good rub and rinse. Get everything dry. You could have a microfiber cloth uniquely allocated to your CPAP stuff.

Some people can get away with haphazard cleaning, but I would guess you can’t. You’re using distilled water in the humidifier, yes? IMO go squeaky clean with everything, and see if that helps. Lighten up later on fastidiousness if you’d like to, but for now, take contaminated hardware off the table as a potential source for your situation.

Make sure you’re drinking lots of water. If your mouth drops open while sleeping, as it does for many posters, you could be getting dehydrated. Dehydration could also make you feel very hungry. Experiment with a notch higher on humidity if you wake up feeling like a prune.

Have you posted your Oscars, so some folks here can analyze the settings, leaks, etc.? If the settings aren’t matched to you, or if the mask is leaky, they can seriously disrupt your sleep. I can totally imagine that would affect your cycle and your eating habits.

If this situation continues, consult with your doc. Hormones are complicated, and need professional insight IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 46 2,855 09-08-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Do I need a BiPAP? phoen1kx 2 302 07-30-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to BiPAP Therapy: Seeking Guidance on Settings Kevinbipap 4 453 04-24-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Kevinbipap
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 780 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 653 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 519 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] Negative/Adverse Reaction to BiPAP Need Help zuriaki 21 1,952 09-18-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.