Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Waking Up - Newbie Help
Waking Up - Newbie Help
Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with OSA earlier this year (~38 AHI) and have started CPAP therapy. I've used the machine somewhat inconsistently for about 2 months, and struggle with waking up a lot throughout the night, and having a headache + fatigue the following day. I use nasal pillows after not liking the Resmed N20 mask. 

I've tinkered with settings a little bit, but I don't have a great sense of how it all works. I turned off Ramp and EPR after seeing that those may compromise sleep quality. 

Today is my first day in OSCAR. This is my data from last night. For context, my Oura ring shows that I woke up 7 times between midnight and ~5AM. Can anyone help me with takeaways from this data? Appreciate it! 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking Up - Newbie Help
Hi lowlyradar!  -  Welcome
2 things come to mind.  The first seems to be your sleeping position may be causing some of your apneas.  Please try sleeping on your side and avoid sleeping on your back.  Also, try to position your pillow to avoid tucking your chin in.  This can be another source of airway restriction.

The second possible cause of your arousals is pressure changes and its range.  The sleeping position can affect much of the pressure change, but if you want to try and tighten up this range (currently 5.6cm), I would set your minimum to 8.0cm and your maximum to 10.0cm.  This will reduce the range to only 2cm, making it more tolerable.  Try these settings for a night and see if your sleep improves, and how you feel the next morning.

Please keep us updated.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hey lowlyradar,

from a distant view, there's still definitely disturbed breathing present. It's possible the machine's pressure is currently set too low. Posting some zoomed-in screenshots of some of the events will add colour to your thread. One needs to always zoom in on CAs to determine if they're truly CAs or just post-arousal CAs, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey lowlyradar! It might help to try sleeping on your side if you haven’t already; it can really change things up. And don’t be afraid to play around with the pressure settings a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP- High Pressure Waking Me in the middle of the night HanoverTime 6 176 09-30-2024, 11:57 PM
Last Post: AshSF
  Waking up around midnight, 2AM and 3AM midnighttwoam 15 872 09-29-2024, 06:29 AM
Last Post: midnighttwoam
  CPAP Newbie - Waking All Night With Mask Leaks Embeeous 37 1,211 09-26-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Embeeous
  [CPAP] Need help with waking after 1-2 hours shrinkwrapped 2 183 09-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: shrinkwrapped
  Newbie: CA events alangrima 3 174 09-25-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: alangrima
  [CPAP] Newbie to OSCAR - why mask leakage rate is so high thanh.oz 1 149 09-22-2024, 06:37 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Early waking, unrefreshed sleep, UARS? WinnerFieldman 1 200 09-19-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: WinnerFieldman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.