Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP, asthma, and microplastics
CPAP, asthma, and microplastics
I started using CPAP a few weeks ago. I also have asthma, which, prior to CPAP, was well-controlled with no asthma events. From the very first night of using CPAP, every morning, I wake up with asthma, nasal congestion, an asthma cough, and a painful sinus headache. I had not had an asthma attack for years until I started using the CPAP. There were also no respiratory issues on nights when I did not use CPAP, so I know it is the CPAP. I cannot increase the humidity or heat any further because I already wake up with sweat-soaked hair.  Based on previous posts, I already adjusted the humidity and heat and waited a few weeks for improvement. It did not improve.   

Everything (mask, hose, machine water reservoir) smells like plastic, so I am worried that I am breathing in microplastics from the nasal mask, hose, etc. I am chemically sensitive (multiple chemical sensitivities that cause asthma). I think that plastic may be the issue. I have two large medical-grade air cleaners (one next to the bed), so the home air is clean. I never wear anything with plastic—only organic cotton—and avoid buying or eating from a plastic food can, bag, or container. 

My question is, how can I use the CPAP without inhaling the plastic? I filter CPAP water in a Berkey (no plastic jugs), so I know it is not the water. I washed the hoses and masks multiple times in unscented dish liquid, but they still smell like plastic. 

Is there a hose and mask that is not made of plastic (silicone, maybe)?

Thanks, 
Mary Ann
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP, asthma, and microplastics
Try letting the hoses/masks sit in the dish liquid water for a few hours. I notice the same thing from time to time. One thing you might try is using organic baby shampoo and let them soak in that. It smells nice.

It sounds also like changing the humidity and temp settings might have burned the plastic up a little but if it was too hot. To remedy this you will want to buy new everything. When I ran out of humidifier water everything smelled like burnt plastic and I could only remedy it by new parts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your response. I did not increase the humidity until a couple of weeks later and the smell did not change. I don't think it is burned.
I like the idea of soaking it for a long time and maybe all day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah sometimes that worked for me other times not. If it doesn’t, replace the hose and mask and do the same thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
To remove microplastics (if there are any), you might want to add an antibacterial filter between your mask and hose/instrument.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where do I get an antibacterial filter and how is it placed between the hose and mask?
Thanks,
Mary Ann
Post Reply Post Reply
Search amazon.com for antibacterial filter cpap. 
For instance you ca get the following hit   "CPAP Inline Filter-10 Pcs Universal CPAP Filters for Res-Med&Dream-Station CPAP and BiPAP Machines Compatible with Standard 22mm Cpap Tube, Low Loss Airflow Designed"
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. This is perfect.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think those are only meant for hospital use so they can re use hosing systems and machines without contaminating them. Please do research before using this.
Post Reply Post Reply
It might end up looking about like this inline filter.

And I think during use, you'll need to active the CPAP option for AB filter.

[Image: SjfM2IG.png]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Asthma like symptoms when using the mask Xavier315 6 279 07-29-2024, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Xavier315
  Asthma & CPAP MARrshh 4 1,296 07-09-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Apnea23
  [split] CPAP triggering asthma/wheezing? ShhhImSleeping 3 1,563 05-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Asthma and CPAP Qs from newbie SleepyEdmonton 6 1,659 02-24-2020, 10:59 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Gross CPAP Made me well - sick. Asthma.Acne.Etc. dbw45 11 2,343 02-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Last Post: booksfan
  OSA and Asthma Beej 13 2,040 11-18-2019, 02:02 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Does CPap improve asthma and copd? Solar Rays 11 3,076 09-03-2018, 05:49 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.