Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CSR question
CSR question
I have been using my CPAP for about three months (after being diagnosed with 'severe' sleep apnea from a 3 day home test) with almost no problems as it was very easy for me to adjust to.

But OSCAR shows that I have had two CSR events in that time, one on Sept 21 (2.90% in CSR) and the other on Oct 7 (3.95%).  No other occurrences, and I was not aware of the events when they took place; just noticed them in the OSCAR results.

I have no heart problems or anything else I am aware of that might have caused this, and I don't know if they are anything to be concerned about.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CSR question
Hi, Mike. Oscar identifies periodic breathing with the term "CSR," which is unfortunate. CSR is a very particular kind of periodic breathing. If you could post an Oscar chart with a zoomed-in view of some so-called CSR breathing, we can see whether it looks like actual CSR or is just non-CSR periodic breathing. A snippet of about 15 minutes that includes the maximum possible number of CAs would be ideal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the two plots, Sep immediately below and then Oct below that.  Hope this is what you wanted.

***  Moderator Note: Corrupted Image Removed  ***

Images can not be hosted from a personal computer, or pasted directly into a post.
Please upload apnea related images (only) to the Apnea Board server, or use an image hosting service for all others.  
Please read this link for further information:  "How to: Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board" .
Post Reply Post Reply
        Not sure why but I can't post png images.  I'll try attaching them instead.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2024, 02:25 PM)michaeldr Wrote: Here are the two plots, Sep immediately below and then Oct below that.  Hope this is what you wanted.

***  Moderator Note: Corrupted Image Removed  ***

Images can not be hosted from a personal computer, or pasted directly into a post.
Please upload apnea related images (only) to the Apnea Board server, or use an image hosting service for all others.  
Please read this link for further information:  "How to: Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board" .

Just saw this and will follow your instructions in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is not CSR. Don't worry about it at all. CSR has a distinctive way of waxing and waning in a pattern that is nowhere to be seen here.

CAs can come in clusters. In general, you'll have some arousal breathing, which tends to be deeper than regular asleep breathing, and that will cause a CA. Then you recover from the CA pause with some more deeper breathing, and that sets off another CA. Rinse and repeat.

The causal mechanism is probably that the deeper breathing blows off some CO2, so you're not getting the "breathe now" signal until a pause builds the CO2 back up in your bloodstream. Another theory is that this is something called the Hering-Breuer reflex, which pauses your breathing after sensors in your chest muscles detect greater-than-normal expansion of your chest wall.

Either way, these CAs tend to settle down over time. But be aware that CAs are consistently inconsistent, as some people here have put it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Dormeo's analysis.  Real CSR includes 100% CA's.  You have OA's and and an H mixed in with the CA's.  That pretty much negates real CSR.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much to both of you.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,676 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.