Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another Noob with CPAP
Another Noob with CPAP
Hi everyone!
This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing this right. I've been using my CPAP machine for about 2 months now and I'm still not sure how to read my OSCAR data. 

Through trial and error, I've managed to sleep with my mask on for most of the night. (Posting some with my longer nights)

Could anyone recommend optimal pressure settings for me? or any tips. 

Currently, I have a Resmed AirSense 11 with a P30i mask, set to Auto with a pressure range of 9-11 and EPR at 3.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another Noob with CPAP
I'm not wise to settings. However, I can make a few comments!

On your first panel, the machine was on, but you seem to have thrown your mask off for most of the night with the machine still running. Then you remembered to put it back on. Alternatively, you had a massive leak, so your mask might as well have been off. You could have just dropped your mouth open.

Other posters have various ways to keep that from happening. My noob habit was to throw the mask off thinking it was morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Did you have a lot of CAs in your sleep study?  If you have a copy of your sleep study it would be good if you would post a redacted copy of it.

I think your beginning pressure is a bit high.  I suggest that you change it to 7 and raise your high setting to 14.  Also, if you are using ramp it would be good to turn it off.  You get almost no treatment when it is turned on.  Those changes should improve your comfort and treatment.  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Someone said maybe I need an ASV?

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if you need an ASV or not.  You had a lot fewer CAs than OAs or Hs in your sleep study.  Also, I notice that your CAs were all lumped together, one night at the beginning of your night, and the other night at the very end of the night.  You may not have been asleep at those times, or possibly you had your chin tucked towards your chest, causing positional apnea.  I'll see if I can get someone more knowledgeable to look at this thread.  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
You have mixed or complex apnea in your diagnostic and now in your CPAP results. The diagnostic test is interesting in that it shows all CA events occur in the prone position, while obstructive events are in supine position. Your obstructive events cluster into groups of closely spaced apnea, so I think you need to consider positional apnea is an issue in the supine position, and consider changing the number or loft of your pillow(s) or even consider a soft cervical collar. https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea

Your CPAP is setup with 9.0 to 11.0 pressure with EPR at 3 which provides a range of 9/6 to 11/8 (IPAP/EPAP) pressures, and you are persistently at the maximum end of that range. I think you should consider higher pressure and perhaps increase to minimum 10.0 and maximum 14.0. The CPAP does not really offer a tool to address CA events, so based on the test results, I'll emphasize staying off your stomach and working on positional issues to reduce events. We can try lower EPR settings, but in my experience it usually doesn't make much difference. We should defer any discussion of ASV until you have more experience with CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I changed my range to 7-14 for the last 3 nights. Previously I had it 9-11.

Post Reply Post Reply
Any feedback on my new scores? seems off thinking I should be under5 AHI?

@sleeprider

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 417 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  Help with CPAP tuning for a noob arjaydev 1 431 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question [CPAP] Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data Lobelia48 9 1,116 02-08-2023, 03:58 AM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  Total BIPAP noob consolidated thread Morgannon 3 604 01-24-2023, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Morgannon
  Bipap Noob Questions supyasieve 14 1,491 10-19-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: supyasieve
Angry [CPAP] Huge noob here. Really POed at Resmed/DME and could use help now! debhona12 15 1,891 06-01-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Noob - posting first OSCAR screenshot Cool 2 873 02-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Cool

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.