Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can’t adjust to nasal mask
Can’t adjust to nasal mask
Hi all, new member here, thank you for letting me join!

I have been using a Resmed air sense 10 APAP with the Dream Wear full face mask for about eight months and have been really happy with the way this combination works for me - but - I would really like to be able to use a nasal cushion mask.

Unfortunately every time I try to switch from the full face to a nasal mask my breathing feels off and I get aerophagia. It almost feels like I have to keep up with a certain pace and can’t quite.

I don’t have any nasal congestion beyond seasonal allergies and that is under control.

Any suggestions on what I can do to be more successful with the switch?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can’t adjust to nasal mask
Hello HRU. Have you tried adjusting your pressure? I had to lower min pressure when I went from a full face to nasal cushions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - have had this problem with the minimum pressure setting at 4 & 6, now 7. I increased the minimum pressure so that I have a tighter range. It’s now 7 to 15.

It just feels like my breathing cadence is off/too fast and that results in an uncomfortable tightness in my chest and then aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi HRU1923,
Did you change the mask setting on your Cpap from full face to nasal? This affects the volume or amount of air. Be sure your setting is on nasal mask.

Do you mouth breathe? With a nasal mask, you need to be able to breathe through your nose. If your mouth opens, you may be gulping/swallowing air causing Aerophagia.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Opal Rose. Yes, I have switched settings to nasal mask so it should be okay?

I thought for awhile that air was escaping through my mouth, but I have the sensation that I described when I’m awake, before I fall asleep. In fact, I am usually unable to fall asleep with this mask on, unlike the full face mask, where I put it on and am out like a light.

I have taped my mouth closed and might now try cervical collar to keep my jaw forward, but I’m still wondering if there isn’t something else that I can do to make it work. it doesn’t make sense to me that I can’t use it, because like I say I don’t have nasal congestion and even use tape when I’m wearing a full face mask, so I’m not breathing to my mouth then either?
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! Try playing around with your jaw position while you are awake. I find that I am much more sensitive to needing a bit of mandibular advancement with a nasal mask and use a TMJ night guard to let my jaw float when I use one. If my mouth is open to mouth breath with a hybrid, jaw position does not seem to be nearly as important.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I’ll give it a try. Appreciate the suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't fall asleep, should I adjust pressures, etc.? PJP71 10 275 09-08-2024, 07:37 PM
Last Post: PlayerTwo
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 400 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 18 2,193 09-04-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Can I use nasal mask with deviated septum? snortle 1 156 08-27-2024, 08:20 AM
Last Post: mark.apnea
  Continous air out of vent nasal mask Nad402 25 12,036 08-26-2024, 03:05 PM
Last Post: JMIKEG
  [Equipment] F&P Nova Micro nasal pillows mask carnuntum 2 267 08-26-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: carnuntum
  Considering full face mask until I can fix my nasal breathing Ptee8899 11 594 08-25-2024, 08:13 AM
Last Post: SeePak

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.