Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't fall asleep with the CPAP. Settings for just getting used to it?
Question 
Can't fall asleep with the CPAP. Settings for just getting used to it?
I am still new to my CPAP and have only used it some of my nights since I feel like I don't really sleep well with it so I feel like I need some off nights to recover some sleep. I started out with a nasal pillow mask that goes into the nose but yesterday I got my new AirFit N30 nosemask where the "pillow" just rests on the nose without the things going inside it and I found it much more comfortable for me. 

However I still can't seem to fall asleep with the mask on. I don't know why, I can't detect any leaking so that is not an issue. 

Could I put my settings so they impact me the least to just get used to the mask and if so what would those settings be? 

This night I lay awake for 6 hours before I had to remove it and then I could fall asleep. Again I don't feel really uncomfortable so I dont know why I just can't seem to fall asleep with it on.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't fall asleep with the CPAP. Settings for just getting used to it?
It took me a long time to be able to fall asleep and stay asleep with my pap/ventilators also.   One trick that helped was lowering the pressure as low as you can tolerate it to be able to at least fall asleep with it and stay asleep.  It may not even be therapeutic, but I gained confidence and motivation from little bits of success like this, and am now using my machine just about all night every night.  

You can try a static cpcp pressure like a 7 to start with.  Going much lower than this most people feel air starved.  If you machine has EPR, you can set it to 3 full time also - EPR lowers the pressure when you exhale, to make it feel easier.  

Then, if you have success, you can fine tune the pressure upward a bit to become more therapeutic and resolve your apnea.  

Later, if you want to download OSCAR and upload some charts, we can try to help you optimize your therapy.  

Another strategy some people use is using it for naps (or even when sitting up in a chair for long periods of time).  Try to fall asleep with it during a nap and stay asleep.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2023, 12:25 PM)Jay51 Wrote: It took me a long time to be able to fall asleep and stay asleep with my pap/ventilators also.   One trick that helped was lowering the pressure as low as you can tolerate it to be able to at least fall asleep with it and stay asleep.  It may not even be therapeutic, but I gained confidence and motivation from little bits of success like this, and am now using my machine just about all night every night.  

You can try a static cpcp pressure like a 7 to start with.  Going much lower than this most people feel air starved.  If you machine has EPR, you can set it to 3 full time also - EPR lowers the pressure when you exhale, to make it feel easier.  

Then, if you have success, you can fine tune the pressure upward a bit to become more therapeutic and resolve your apnea.  

Later, if you want to download OSCAR and upload some charts, we can try to help you optimize your therapy.  

Another strategy some people use is using it for naps (or even when sitting up in a chair for long periods of time).  Try to fall asleep with it during a nap and stay asleep.

Thank you I will try this. So should I set "Mode" to "CPAP" or "AutoSet"? And then should I set both min and max pressure to 7?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, you can try that.  I am not that familiar with the Resmed Airsense 10.  It should be easy enough to figure out how to get it to give a static 7 pressure.  Then try to find the EPR settings and try EPR of 3 if you would like also.  That lowers the pressure down to 4 every time you exhale, and should make it even easier to tolerate.  You can even try EPR 2 and EPR 1 also if you so choose (just lowers exhale pressure down by 2 or 1 then).
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried this for a couple of nights and I actually do feel like I have been able to get some more sleep! Usually I also use a blackout mask on my face but last night I placed a towel over my eyes instead and I found it very pleasant somehow and it also blocks out some noise.

What is strange though is that I have constantly got reports from my device that I have around 5 events per hour no matter what setting I have tried. I now have the static 7 and ESP 3.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can't fall asleep and stay asleep Person 1 34 3 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  xiaopigu - Help with CPAP Settings xiaopigu 14 787 09-27-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: xiaopigu
Sad [Treatment] Newbie: can't stay asleep longer than 1 hour with mask on KianaBeth 8 320 09-17-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Weinmann / Löwenstein Prisma 20A Auto CPAP: APAP settings: standard vs. dynamic Costas P 7 12,923 09-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: donsburg
  Can't fall asleep, should I adjust pressures, etc.? PJP71 10 452 09-08-2024, 07:37 PM
Last Post: PlayerTwo
  What generally are the first pressure settings for a new CPAP user ? Tenley 5 470 09-07-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Symptoms] Waking up 15min after falling asleep - new insights McPhearson99 17 2,350 09-02-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: McPhearson99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.