Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

(Canada) Air transat saying a CPAP machine is counted as a carry on
RE: (Canada) Air transat saying a CPAP machine is counted as a carry on
Confirmed by Ryanair themselves too:

Quote:Dialysis Machine, CPAP Machine, or Bipap Machine
These devices may be carried in the cabin of the aircraft without prior notification if the device fits in your cabin baggage. However, if the device will be carried in addition to your baggage allowance you must obtain a medical baggage waiver letter by contacting our Special Assistance team.

These machines are not permitted for use onboard.
https://help.ryanair.com/hc/en-gb/articl...ap-Machine

the bit about not being able to use them onboard is certainly interesting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah Ryan Air is not a normal airline. They would sell standing seats if it was legal. Most normal airlines, not only the biggest, will have the same rules worldwide. So if its a international carrier, and not crappy ones, they will most likley not have an issue.

And even Ryan Air, as terrible as it is, allows cpap carry on that not count towards other carry on if you contact them in advance.

Regardless anyone flying should ofc check with the airline in advance to avoid confusion.

The part of not using it onboard is not that crazy. Not all planes have outlets that can give the power needed. Also activley using a large lithium battry on a flight do carry some risk. And then to add that some people have o2 with their cpap. O2 is highly flammable and it means a pressurized container full of flammable substance inside the cabin.
Post Reply Post Reply
they're not talking about supplemental o2, o2 cylinders are banned on planes for obvious reasons... 

my point is in the US they have specific rules and you can just show up unannounced and they will let you in, don't expect the same in Europe as they are no standardized rules.
Post Reply Post Reply
I plan to fly to Canada this December.  How do I get a tag declaring medical equipment.  Make it myself?  I researched and saw that Delta allows Cpap machine which is not counted as your carry-on.  Since I won't have a carry-on that should not be a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a tag on my CPAP travel case that states it's Medical Equipment. Supposedly, it's an industry standard version and meet's all airline requirements. 

Best thing is I no longer have to fly anywhere anymore. That, and I'd never take my CPAP machine if I did anyways.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2024, 06:25 AM)Narcil Wrote: they're not talking about supplemental o2, o2 cylinders are banned on planes for obvious reasons... 

Cathay Pacific will actually supply medical oxygen on board with three days notice and does allow cylinders to be checked with advanced notice and after following a litany of their dangerous goods rules which at the end of the day probably means don't bother but they are not banned. On board they are banned entirely, being both an oxidizer and possible missile, if used nefariously. 

They will even issue a frequent medical equipment user card to eliminate the need to notify them (only if you plan to use the CPAP) and they do not require medical clearance for CPAP machines. Shows you how a logical approach can be towards these increasingly common devices. 

I doubt you need a special label. Airline employees have seen a million CPAP machines by now. Transport Canada says that a machine is not counted towards the two item carry-on limits, period. 

RyanAir would charge for air consumed in total litres if they could get away with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my medical tag from Supplier #1. It’s not required, I suppose, but anything that would make a TSA agent stall before whipping open the xPAP would be a plus. Also, it might create less fuss from other passengers who may be ticked that someone gets to have an extra carry-on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have travelled with Air Canada several times, both locally and internationally. I did not need to notify them beforehand, and my luggage was not counted as carry-on luggage either. As stated above,  they have seen thousands of cases.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Purchasing a CPAP Machine from a Facebook Seller: Need Advice chacha897d 1 100 08-01-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Treatment in Canada SenatorBirch 20 2,254 07-29-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: SenatorBirch
  BeC CPAP Machine - Self Prescribed sleepyboii 4 239 07-10-2024, 06:02 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  What is average hours per year on CPAP machine? sleepingbetterinFl 1 220 07-10-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Narcil
Gross [Equipment] Help! CPAP Machine Turning Off During the Night GoblinDiplomacy 9 382 06-28-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Pressure] New cpap user and guessing at machine settings Tsunami 14 569 06-26-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 294 273,042 06-22-2024, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Cape67

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.