Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin Strap or Cervical Collar with Nasal Pillows?
Chin Strap or Cervical Collar with Nasal Pillows?
I have always considered myself a mouth breather during deep sleep.  I am taking a break from a FFM (Evora) and trying out some nasal pillows.  No matter what, I tend to get leaks with a FFM around the corner of my mouth.  I have tried chin straps and cervical collars to prevent jaw drop with a FFM. It seems I have to cinch the bottom straps really tight to avoid leaks.  In reviewing my OSCAR data with the use of a FFM, my 95% leak rate ranges from the mid teens to the low 20's.  
For the past  couple of nights I have used a Brevida Nasal Pillow mask.  I tried it with a KB chin strap and achieved a leak rate of 9.6 and then a soft cervical collar and achieved a leak rate of 7.2.  
Does anyone use a nasal or nasal pillow mask with a soft cervical collar successfully, or might this just be a fluke?  I am wondering if the collar is just enough to keep my head back and mouth shut so that I don't open my mouth if my head tips forward?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar with Nasal Pillows?
I started off trying a variety of chin straps, but never got them to really work well without winching them down past the point of comfort. For some they work well, but never for me.

I switched to a soft cervical collar years ago and still use it today. I use it both for nasal pillows and full-face masks, not just to stop mouth leaks but to also help keep my airway open. Some do not like SCC’s, but it has been the difference for me.

Don’t worry about the leak rate numbers, they are just numbers. Focus on sleep quality. Even with the SCC I still get “leaks” in the 4-8 range some nights, but it does not impact my sleep so I don’t worry about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar with Nasal Pillows?
For some of us mouth tape is the answer.  For us, the cervical collar is good for holding the neck straighter but does not stop leaks.  I sometimes had as much as 50% leaks.  Taping sounded claustrophobic and uncomfortable to me at first, but it's not.  I can even cough without opening my mouth.  Best of luck!
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cervical Surgery needs new mask DEJONES1954 4 57 5 hours ago
Last Post: DEJONES1954
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 6 1,090 Yesterday, 03:47 AM
Last Post: Dodies
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 18 2,129 09-04-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Fixed Aerophagia using a Halo style chin strap ISeekRem 0 127 09-01-2024, 03:45 AM
Last Post: ISeekRem
  What works best? Chin strap or tape? JoshO71 7 218 08-30-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] F&P Nova Micro nasal pillows mask carnuntum 2 220 08-26-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: carnuntum
  P10 Nasal Pillows to F40 Airfit Full Face Mask Settings? stevesleep 3 205 08-23-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.