Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin Tuckers
RE: Chin Tuckers
(05-10-2024, 10:18 AM)Hrdhittin Wrote: I am using the sleep number pillow which is low profile and a cut out for your head and allows support for my chin.  

It's a great feeling putting the puzzle pieces together.

It certainly is. I have tried so many pillows over the years. It's really hard fining one that fits you just right. The one I'm using now is actually my wife's that we purchased at sleep number when we bought the bed. It has removable layers to it and I find it has helped me the most. Now I just have to buy my wife a replacement since I've stolen.....I mean appropriated her pillow.  Too-funny Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Don’t give up on the Flonase so soon. It takes a while for this steroid to work. Not only does it work but it’s safe to use nightly. Look up “ Fluticasone Propionate “ on Amazon. It’s the same thing! 5 little spray bottles for under $30. This stuff actually made my cpap therapy work. Sleep well!
Post Reply Post Reply
how does the pillow support chin? What is the sleep number pillow called? (link)
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE:

The Flonase was not working great and created a bit of anxiety so I switched to Astepro which is an antihistamine, twice daily and that works better for me.

My deviated septum makes nose breathing challenging at times. The combination of Astepro, doing a Navage before bed along with nose tape allows me to stay clear most of the night. The F40 recommended by Sleeprider is a great mask, especially for side sleepers, but I was intent on getting back to my N20 which was the most comfortable for me.

I decided to try "mouth" taping and made the switch back to the N20. The 3M Nexcare is great stuff for anyone looking to try.

I thought I had solved the puzzle. For a full week I was having AHI scores of zero. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not checking my Oscar data.

Turns out I was leaking bad which the machine did not pick up and could not figure out. Thanks to the AB I realized I was leaking through my mouth. Back to the drawing board and back to my F40.

Based on advice from this Board, the soft cervical collar or chin strap seemed like my best option. I figured I would try the soft cervical collar again which I never really gave a chance. I was using a pillow to hold my chin up which was successful most nights but the collar seemed like a good option to try and avoid mouth leaking.

The plan was...Astepro, Navage, Nose tape, Mouth tape, Soft Collar "No" backpack. Strap on the N20.

My hope was that the collar would stop mouth leaking as well as the obstruction created when I chin tuck and maybe even allow me to end up on my back with no issues.

It has only been two nights but the data is super encouraging. Not only was my AHI a zero, my Flowrate graph looked the best I have ever seen.

I did not leak through my mouth wearing the N20. The "Restcloud soft neck brace" is cheap and very well designed for anyone looking to try a collar.

I have an appointment with an ENT to discuss my deviated septum which I am likely to get repaired. Nose breathing is the way to go and this seems like the best path.

Sleep Well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hrdhittin,

Thanks for circling back and reporting on your progress.  Your post is very encouraging.  You just have to keep trying different things until something works for you.
  Good-work
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have felt I chin tuck based on Video I took when sleeping.

I bought a Soft collar from Walgreens but when I lay down,even when loose, I feel joked And sure I'll feel hot and stifled.
The doctor had the medical company give me a basic chin strap but because it's A stretchy material. I really couldn't figure out what its purpose was other than being annoying to put on and in the way of the headgear.

I do hear there is A chin strap with a little hat that might be more effective because the strap goes under the chin, not at the end of the chin, so it's not pulling the jaw back, which is what we're trying to avoid avoid.
But once again this seems like it's going to get hot as I normally don't wear a hat to bed. So for me, based on the price that they're charging, I doubt I would try that. But there are people who say it works to keep the jaw from falling backwards.
But this is not solving chin tucking.

But since we're on the subject of taping, I figured I would mention something other than taping.

I have been trying somnoseal.
https://www.somnoseal.com/
I have been on CPAP a little over a month.
I use Bleep Eclipse and was taping.
I was surprised I was tolerating the tape but I think it's just barbaric looking and I feel at some point the adhesive might be an issue. I just use a Johnson& Johnson's white medical tape and it stays on but it's not too bad with the adhesive and doesn't leave a residue. It is porous and you can rip a little slit in it.
However, the somnoseal, does look less like you're a hostage and nothing to tape to the face if you get the right fit.
I did buy the kit which I think is a little expensive for what it is but it came with two sizes and I'll probably sell the one that I didn't use.
My only issue was it did create more drool but it is lessening like they said it would and I've only been using it a week.

I will say with mouth taping and the bleep I was getting zero leak and with this device I only see a couple little spikes which I'm assuming I'm still moving it around in my mouth because of the extra drool.
But to my surprise, it hasn't fallen out and I haven't used the little butterfly tape that they include.
I think what I like about it so far, is that if I don't have to tape my mouth can move a little more natural. Like I had to yawn.
The seal seems to work with nasal CPAP and I'm not showing any snoring so far on the ResMed/ Oscar data.

I don't seem to spit it out like I did when I tried a boil and bite mandible mouthguard.
I have had mouthguards for various reasons over time and just usually spit them out.
But this one over the teeth in the front has stayed in my mouth without the taping and I'm guessing is a tad small, But I thought the medium was looking like it might be too big.

After I ordered this I did find a video of somebody doing something similar by cutting the lid of a food safe silicone lid. I don't know if you'll get the same structure as the commercial product.

Anyway, the concept for mouth leaking and nasal CPAP does appear to work. I just assumed there could be leaking but according to the data it's not registering.
So now I just need better solution for chin tucking that's not going to be uncomfortable as far as feeling hot especially in the summer during a heatwave.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 11 1,050 10-15-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: LaurenceShaw
  Owner - Knightsbridge Dual Chin Strap cmpman1974 14 429 10-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: LaurenceShaw
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 6 1,258 09-06-2024, 03:47 AM
Last Post: Dodies
  Fixed Aerophagia using a Halo style chin strap ISeekRem 0 213 09-01-2024, 03:45 AM
Last Post: ISeekRem
  What works best? Chin strap or tape? JoshO71 7 383 08-30-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 122 10,373 08-04-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Chin strap question jake79 2 375 06-06-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: jake79

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.