Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Considering turbinate reduction for better nasal breathing
Considering turbinate reduction for better nasal breathing
I have used CPAP therapy for almost 2 years and have always struggled with breathing through nostrils especially since air is drying up nasal passages and further obstructs breathing.  I was told my ENT I have swollen/enlarged turbinates.  Afrin has helped tremendously on occasion when I use it; however, I don't want to get hooked on the chemical and therefore I am considering turbinate reduction surgery.   Anyone experience this procedure and has it helped with breathing?  I am not undergoing septoplasty (surgery to fix deviated septum) at this time and I AM ONLY CONSIDERING turbinate reduction .  Nasal breathing got so bad that I had to switch from Full face mask. RESMED F20 memory foam to Resmed F40 under the nose hybrid mask; however leaks have been higher as the mask doesn't seem to seal as well especially around the nose as the F20-  but with stuffed nose the F 20 was getting to be a problem as it constantly woke me up every night.  Any suggestions would be so appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Considering turbinate reduction for better nasal breathing
My advice to you would be don't get the surgery. 
Check out anything to do with Patrick McKeown breathing exercises.
Buteyko methods.
There are links on this website for him check out the alternative section of this website.

There is lots of conversation and evidence online that even after all these nasal surgeries plugged noses, septums etc. still happens.

Mouth breathing is the culprit and needs to be stopped immediately!
Post Reply Post Reply
Others here have had the surgery you are considering.  I think some had good and some had not so good experiences.  I'm sure someone will show up here who can tell you their experience(s). I think most still needed to use their pap machines.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I had septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery.  I also take Singulair (Montelukast) and Azelastine spray for allergic rhinitis.  This combination has helped me breath much better, decrease congestion significantly, and more easier tolerate my ventilator.  

I do apologize, but I can't break all of these down into separate parts because I am not 100% sure how much each is contributing to my better breathing.  I do not recall a thread or post here about only having turbinate reduction surgery.  Several septoplasties, several turbinate surgeries along with turbinate reduction also though.  

I would think the best way to proceed would be to try to do more research on the turbinate surgery by itself.  There should be some information out there on the internet about it.  Also, have you checked our "Search" tab at the top of the page to try to access threads with turbinate reduction surgery?  Or type in similar words to try to find results.  

There is a chance that someone has only had the turbinate surgery and may post about it here in your thread, too.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

I had a radiofrequency turbinate reduction in June. It is an office procedure and I had very little discomfort during and after the procedure. Your nostrils are "stuffy" for a week afterwards and run a bit, but I didn't feel pain. 
My ENT wanted to try the least invasive procedure first. So far, it has worked well. I do not, in any way, expect the results to replace cpap. I am breathing far better through my nose and will be trying my first pillows mask as soon as it arrives. I still use Flonase as needed during allergy season or when congested to contro; inflammation.
I hope this has been helpful and good luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a septoplasty with turbinate reduction recently. It’s nice to live in a world where I can breathe more easily. IMO consider quality of life improvements with the surgery, and not just ease of breathing while on CPAP. FWIW I still use an FFM, even after surgery.

You might try a different size cushion with the F40. They do make a version that is for wider and flatter noses. I use the medium, and it pretty much envelopes my nose like a hot dog bun. I have almost no leakage at the nose. I actually think this mask blocks one of my nostrils because of the divider that goes underneath the nose, but I don’t care because it’s so much better than any mask I’ve ever had.
Post Reply Post Reply
After you had it completed,  were you able to use CPAP for two weeks following the surgery?  I know you said you had stuffy nose and runny nose for a couple weeks.   Was there any bloody discharge?
Post Reply Post Reply
After you had your turbinate reduction in the office,  Were you able to use your CPAP for the two weeks following your procedure as you claimed a stuffy nose ?   Was there bloody discharge?  Did you have General Anastasia or just local numbing of the nose ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you again .  Did it take a couple weeks after the surgery  before you noticed better airflow through your nose ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

There was a little bloody drainage the first day. 

I had it done several days before I received my machine but my EMT said I could use it. This is not a very invasive surgery - local numbing. I had a stuffy nose such as with a minor cold or allergies.

I noticed better airflow about a week after.

It would be worth asking your MD about.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Breathing noise carmdf 1 57 Yesterday, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Nasal pillows v nasal mask FLcracker 11 489 Yesterday, 11:42 AM
Last Post: mogulman
  Bad at Breathing Haldir 37 1,567 10-05-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Haldir
  [Diagnosis] Very high amounts of periodic breathing / CSR ? gregbe2000 36 1,045 10-04-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: gregbe2000
  [CPAP] AHI suddenly high as well as PB and variable breathing tresero 5 263 09-24-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: tresero
  [Health] Breathing Exercises Better Sleep or not? seepapnyc 0 163 09-11-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: seepapnyc
  Periodic Breathing Strategies? mark.apnea 2 279 09-11-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: mark.apnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.