Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Coping with knowing this is forever? How do you do it
RE: Coping with knowing this is forever? How do you do it
Great story Stacey.  
You asked what is the best way to find a new DME?  You are in NY.  Your insurance should have a list of all the "in network" DME's that you can go to.  You could go to your PCP and ask for a change.   Can call your insurance directly.  If you can try to do some research on the DME's in your area.  The local RT here at the local hospital helped me a bunch when right after I had my sleep study done.  It was 6 weeks later, and the DME had not even contacted me (they were supposed to get me my 1st PAP machine after the sleep study).  RT called 3 other DME's and said she would go with the 1st one that responded to her call.  One did right away.  I got a machine very quickly and am very grateful for this particular DME I have now (and the RT there).  A visit to your local hospital RT for recommendations may point you to a good one; or possiby start asking friends, etc. (word of mouth).  Pulmonologist might know some good ones, etc.  Go online and look at the ratings of each DME you are considering, too.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2023, 03:21 PM)Jay51 Wrote: Great story Stacey.  
You asked what is the best way to find a new DME?  You are in NY.  Your insurance should have a list of all the "in network" DME's that you can go to.  You could go to your PCP and ask for a change.   Can call your insurance directly.  If you can try to do some research on the DME's in your area.  The local RT here at the local hospital helped me a bunch when right after I had my sleep study done.  It was 6 weeks later, and the DME had not even contacted me (they were supposed to get me my 1st PAP machine after the sleep study).  RT called 3 other DME's and said she would go with the 1st one that responded to her call.  One did right away.  I got a machine very quickly and am very grateful for this particular DME I have now (and the RT there).  A visit to your local hospital RT for recommendations may point you to a good one; or possiby start asking friends, etc. (word of mouth).  Pulmonologist might know some good ones, etc.  Go online and look at the ratings of each DME you are considering, too.
Ever dme I Google has 1 star. It's like they are all run by crooks and thieves. That's why I was asking here, was hoping some one else from NYC had figured it out
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2023, 10:10 PM)tierdal Wrote: I clean the nasal pillow, that's about it. Nothing the gets dirty and I replace the stuff every 3-6 months

Your water tank may get slimy. And you need to clean the tubing on occasion.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2023, 10:11 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Your water tank may get slimy. And you need to clean the tubing on occasion.

never had any issues with tank, def never slimy, that would be gross

the tubing never smells or has anything inside it so i stopped washing it years ago. just replace it ever 6 months.

is this bad?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am still new to it, but I am noticing that my routine is developing, and it doesn't take that much more time. I tended to lay down and not fall asleep for 20-30 minutes anyway, so now I use that time, really less, at the most 5 minutes to fill my water tank, and setup my mask. I am pretty nervous about traveling with it, my first trip is in September, but I have confidence my routine will be pretty dialed in. I wish you luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2023, 08:27 PM)tierdal Wrote: sometimes I can't believe I have to strap stuff to my head EVERY night

buy distilled water every few weeks

follow up with DME constantly, cause they are always messing something up

anyone else feel the same? how do you deal with it?

I haven't read all the replies, so everyone please forgive me if I repeat something:

You are going to LIVE the rest of your life, so...I don't see the problem with adding another routine that will let you actually do that.  Smile Would you take nitro pills if prescribed to help alleviate angina...if you developed it suddenly?  Would you wear a Kardia or other monitor each night prior to bed to alert you to atrial fibrillation if you had known paroxysmal or persistent AF?  If you know you have oxygen exchange problems during sleep, and if that problem increased your chances of atrial fibrillation (happens to many of us), would the mask seem so bad?

You don't need distilled water.  Tap water, from any community, is perfectly safe and usable.  It might be hard, it might be unpleasant to drink, but you can use it.  Just empty the reservoir...without fail...each morning and replace the supply with fresh tapwater.  This will minimize the accumulation of dissolved solids appearing as a crust of crud around the inside of the water vessel.

I sympathize with the DME messing around, although mine only monitored for a while, and I was off and running. You may want to change DME for ask for them to make fewer changes.  If they keep changing things, you have either the wrong therapy or the wrong device.

I like life and living.  I mostly feel good.  My biggest problem was atrial fibrillation, and that was due to horrible sleep.  A sleep lab showed severe apnea.  Now, even having to tape across my mouth because of 'blow out', I sleep well, seem to dream more, my heart is finally in NSR...but only got there after an initial failed catheter ablation to destroy tissue in the lining of my left atrium around the pulmonary veins. If that sounds drastic and something to avoid...I couldn't wait for it.  I even had two of them since the first failed to limit the progression of my paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.  Thankfully, I am now fixed for the time being, but I know I have, like other AF patients who get ablated, about a 50% chance of developing further arrhythmia.  When/if that happens, hopefully after a few or more years, the electrophysiologist said he'd be happy take another look and do more for me.

Teach yourself to be happy that something CAN, and HAS, been done for you that promises at least some amelioration for you. Get busy doing other things, even taking up another hobby.  In time, you'll be more contented and more at ease.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Aeroflow, an online DME. I never have to contact them unless I want to change my order in some way. Then I just call them to request the change.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2023, 11:26 AM)tierdal Wrote: is this bad?

No. A lot of people report doing the same or a similar thing.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2023, 08:27 PM)tierdal Wrote: sometimes I can't believe I have to strap stuff to my head EVERY night

Sometimes I can't believe I have to put on my glasses EVERY time to read properly.

SNCR,

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
How do I cope? It’s just a routine, like brushing your teeth, or taking a shower before bedtime, or getting dressed in the morning. I only talk to my DME once a year and that’s to order new supplies, my sleep Dr. is also my GP, and I buy bottled water regularly anyway. Every Sunday, I throw my equipment in a plastic tub, fill it with hot water and a squirt of dawn, then rip the sheets off the bed and throw them in the washer, come back and rinse my equipment and hang it up to dry. 
It becomes just a part of living and living better is an added benefit.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Ohmy [CPAP] Doc taking forever to give me new CPAP settings or BiPAP Apnea45 22 4,046 08-23-2023, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Apnea45
Gross Forever sleepy - help! mjw423 7 1,042 05-14-2023, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  [CPAP] New bipap user help with knowing what all the settings mean? Zoltyzolt 2 1,017 12-19-2021, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is sleep apnea a forever condition? dreamstream 13 2,195 01-14-2020, 08:56 AM
Last Post: jacklogan
  [Pressure] Reducing Pressure/Knowing When to be Retested geijere 7 1,667 04-19-2017, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Tips for coping? Congestion, ripping cpap off in sleep Release the Hounds 10 3,593 12-25-2015, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Release the Hounds
  Knowing now what I do-What would a Sleep Doctor have done? ShelaghDB 25 6,951 06-09-2014, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Gabby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.