Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Deleting old OSCAR version
Deleting old OSCAR version
Advice on deleting an older OSCAR version please:

A couple of months ago I updated to OSCAR Version 1.5.2.  (I plan to update to the newest version after resolving this issue).  After installing 1.5.2, I was surprised to see the desktop Icon for my older version still present. After clicking on it to look for an un-install option a precautionary message was displayed so I did not proceed.  I am including a screen snip of the message.  Is there an easy way to delete older versions?  how is this accomplished please.  

Thanks to all you helpful experts for your support.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Deleting old OSCAR version
It depends on the operating system you are using. This message was in case there was an update to the database or modifications to the configuration files. Using 1.4 might delete the option settings in the configuration file that are in 1.5 or newer. In which case, you would have to set them again when you run the newer version. You should always delete the older version prior to installing an update. I believe the Windows version will do this if you allow it to install in the default location. Deleting the executable program does not delete the data directory.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your feedback, Red.

My computer is running Windows 11 Home.

When we talk about resetting Configuration File settings etc my eyes glaze over and I am lost.  I searched the forum to determine the proper sequence for installing new OSCAR versions before doing it but found almost nothing about it.  That is why I thought It would be a seamless process with the new version taking care of eliminating all unwanted left over stuff from the old version.  But here I am with the old version I would like to get rid of.    

Did I possibly fail to follow an Instruction step in the Install process and ended up in this situation? Now I want to install the newest version but am not sure how to do that without ending up with three Oscar versions on my computer.  

What should I do to get rid of the old versions?  I can't find an "un-install" discussions in the forum,  and could not find info on it in the Wiki or OSCAR guide.  

Once the old versions are un-installed, where would the newest version find my usage data when It is installed?  Will it find a remaining data folder that would be left behind after the old versions are deleted?  

As you can tell from my questions I should not be dabbling with software, but I need to monitor my breathing data.

Thanks for any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, Windows poses an oddity not found in other operating systems.   Ever since it debuted a 64-bit operating system, they separated the applications based on the app's intended memory model, 64-bit or 32-bit, into two different directories, Program Files and Program Files (x86).  Normally, you would choose the OSCAR version that is appropriate to the OS you're using.  When you do this, any previous version will be overwritten when you upgrade.  The problem occurs is when you download a 64-bit version of one release and then install a 32-bit version of another release.  This will cause the 64-bit version to create an OSCAR directory in the Program Files directory and, for the 32-bit version, another OSCAR directory in the Program Files (x86) directory.  The only other way to have multiple versions on a Windows OS is to rename the OSCAR directory to a unique name and edit all startup icons to point to the new directory name.  I do this for testing purposes.

Now on to your problem.  There are 2 ways to achieve deleting the unwanted OSCAR version. The first way is to right-click on the Windows Start button and select Settings.  In Settings, select Apps.  Scroll down until you see "OSCAR".  You should see more than one listing.  If the title does not provide enough information as to which version it is, click on one, and it will provide a little more detail as to the version.  Once you have found the "bad boy" select Uninstall.  If you experience any problems, you may need to use the second option, below.

The second is, right-click on the icon that starts OSCAR v1.4 and select its properties and look at the box labeled, Target.  Look to see if the path is in either the Program Files or the Program Files (x86) directory.  Also, check to make sure of the directory name.  In File Explorer (Windows key + E) go to this directory and delete the directory named OSCAR (or whatever it was in the target box).  You will need to delete the desktop icon, too.

OK, go get'em and report back something good! Big Grin
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Red, thanks so much for your response.  I will try this tonight and let you know how it went.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Red.
Following your first set of instructions, starting by right clicking the Windows Start button, I got as far as seeing the two versions of OSCAR and found the uninstall options for them so hopefully I am one step from doing the unisntalls.  But first I have another question and some info.   I have versions 1.4.0 Win64 and 1.5.2 Win32 on my computer.   Since my computer is running Windows 11 Home which is 64 bit, and  I ultimately want to install the most recent OSCAR version, I assume the 64 bit option is the proper one to select.  So, is there a preferred order for doing all this?  Should I install the newest OSCAR version before completing the steps you explained for uninstalling both old versions?   Will it matter which of the old versions is uninstalled first or second?

Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want the 64-bit version 1.5.3, just delete the 1.5.2 version and then download and install the 1.5.3/64. It will overwrite the 1.4 code.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Red.
It worked out well.  The old OSCAR versions are gone and I have the newest one installed (64 bit).  All my Resmed Data is in the new version but the profile for my Lowenstein Prisma has no data and is showing the message to check preferences before the first import.  It is a new (used) machine to me and only has a couple of weeks of my usage.  It is in for a repair so I will import from its SD card when it comes back.  

I am very impressed that you and the rest of the team do this as volunteers. Thanks again!

Take Care.

~ Poolboy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New SEFAM Analyize software version 3.2.0 SuperSleeper 5 2,362 10-06-2024, 06:24 AM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Version 1.4 morningstar 0 188 09-02-2024, 02:26 PM
Last Post: morningstar
  OSCAR -revert to previous version munthike 1 321 08-11-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: munthike
  Version 1.5.2 Problems flipmike 13 1,380 05-16-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Where can I download an US version of myair app? Raymondchan338 3 458 05-12-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  New version doesn't find profile BlueSky1958 7 583 03-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  The OSCAR 1.5.1 does not see the notes recorded in the earlier version. G. Szabo 2 460 02-26-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.