Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The case against EPR?
The case against EPR?
Came across this talk by Dr David White ex-chief medical officer of Philips Respironics, not a great look i know.. besides his new algorithm that could improve comfort without increasing AHI (called kpap) i think the more interesting part or the presentation was the data against c-flex and EPR.

I'll include some screengrabs but the tldr is lower epap significantly reduces pharyngeal cross-section and doing the opposite (EPAP > IPAP) seems more beneficial. because when you inhale if your mask pressure is 10cm your pharyngeal pressure is around 7cm, while the opposite is true on exhale, if your mask is at 10 your pharyngeal pressure is above that this dilating your airway more.

He also says that EPR should almost always if not always be turned off if you encounter treatment emergent CSA and presents data to illustrate it. he also talks about vcom the device that currently accomplishes this epap > ipap. 

any thoughts? plausible or just some biased quack trying to peddle his algorithm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXcTkchLXY

[Image: k0.jpg]
[Image: k1.jpg]
[Image: k3.jpg]
[Image: k4.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The case against EPR?
And that is why Philips is essentially out of business in the U.S and Resmed has record market share. My opinion on this is well documented from long before Philips ever screwed the pooch. EPR is a bilevel algorithm that has repeatedly demonstrated efficacy in reducing flow limitation, RERA and hypopnea, and is coupled with an algorithm for pressure that proactively prevents obstructive sleep apnea. All of this is superior to any Philips Auto CPAP or BiPAP algorithm. The consistency of the results has resulted in Philips being regarded as a joke. We all know that it is PS that avoids flow limitation, so the argument that decreasing EPAP, increases flow limitation is a red-herring argument. The chart shows 11/8, 11/9, 11/10 and 11/11 (CPAP which results in increased flow flattening as pressure support decreases. What's new? Not only is the airflow best with higher PS, the graphs shows the square-wave Philips pressure application sucks compared to the EasyBreath™ algorithm used by Resmed. Philips is determined to continue to foist uncomfortable and ineffective therapy on patients. JMHO I Have to add, that this joker needs to go his inferior BiPAP device to try to show EPR is not effective, rather than showing the thousands of examples we have seen on Apnea Board that shows how EPR actually helps improve flow limitation, efficacy and comfort. My take-away is that this proves how terrible the Philips algorithms are in comparison.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. It will take time to work through it all as his voice makes me want to have a kip.

An important lesson in life is when you go to a surgeon for advise, never be surprised when the answer involves surgery. Likewise, when you go to a company producing a product for advise, never be surprised when the answer involves their products.

Whether it is the bees knees or another barmy idea will play out in its own time. I would not get excited about a miracle just yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Until Philips acknowledges the serious deficiencies in it's therapy algorithms, it will never be a contender in the market.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I learned my lesson with the V com. Boy, did I drank that Kool aid.
Post Reply Post Reply
I watched this presentation live and did not catch that he previously worked for Phillips. The KPAP algorithm they developed is similar to the VCOM, which I tried before BiPAP and it made me feel like I was suffocating. They are trying to get this KPAP algorithm as an option on all machines. Maybe it will work for some folks, but I did ask the question about those with flow limits and RERA's, it was not answered.

The amount of success criteria they will need for any of this to become a reality is immense, especially in the US with all the regulations involved.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah i don't really get excited about new algorithm, seems a new one pops up every week. i'll get excited when it's on my machine.

the interesting part was the data against lowering epap. the last graph is the head scratcher for me, it clearly says at the top "Decreasing EPAP increase flow limitation" which is the opposite of what i thought.

this is the study he is referencing: https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full....85.5.1855

Quote:Our results suggest that increasing the Pi-Pedifference (i.e., decreasing Pe) may be associated with a significant worsening in inspiratory flow limitation
Post Reply Post Reply
It's almost akin to static CPAP and no EPR because the medical moonlighter says it's bad. Backstory is they want to to be dependent on them to edit settings, generating recurring visits, payments, and possibly sneaking in more testing so they can get it "right".

This new Philips Respironics tech is called KRAP it seems.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 warranty case labrat 3 500 03-21-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  UPS Battery Backup for CPAP in case of power outage puterwiz82 3 2,672 09-04-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Br1sleep
  How do I make the case for BPAP? SleepingFish 18 1,657 08-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Does it make a sense to get a CPAP in my case? SidWilliams 1 674 05-16-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  SleepHQ in case you're interested David Clark 17 5,471 09-17-2022, 06:10 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Resmed H5i S9 how to dismantle case - power supply error kermit43 9 1,730 05-28-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: vk3hjq
  Mysterious case of apnea privateuser01 8 1,437 05-09-2022, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Geer1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.