Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Would uars be detected/noticed by doctors in a in lab study?
Would uars be detected/noticed by doctors in a in lab study?
For the last year+ ive been having pretty severe fatigue and daytime sleepiness, and wake up with head/eye ache, i had a at home sleep study half a year ago where it showed everything was fine even tough sonethibg is clearly wrong and lately i decided to make an appoitment to a sleep doctor and ask for a in lab sleep study where
1. at home study can miss mild/moderate apnea
2. I may have uars where you have hypoapneas/airway contraction where it doest cause enough oxygen drop for the at home watch to show it but would cause cortical arousl, so i wanted to ask here if this is the case for me and i have high cortical arousls would it show in a in lab test? And if so would the doctor notice it and treat me for it? Or it is something that is overlooked? 
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Would uars be detected/noticed by doctors in a in lab study?
You never did post the results from your last home sleep study. Without seeing data the best we can do is guess.

Is it worth getting an in-lab study done? I think from your peace of mind perspective the answer is yes. Do not be surprised however if the doctors do not find arousals/RERAs. Most only look at AHI. If you do get it done, then post the sleep study summary here with your personal information redacted.

Note that you can always rent or buy a CPAP machine out of pocket to test whether it helps or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, the results are not in english and doesnt give too much information except of average oxygen level of 96% for the most of the night, so what you are saying is that doctors dont look at the arousels which means that someone can technichally have 50 cortical arousels but because he has low ahi they wouldnt diagnose him? What should someone do in this situation then because it sounds like a big problem. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Then if they dont look at rdi how can i possibly get uars diagnosed and treated?
Post Reply Post Reply
Most doctors will not look for UARS nor treat it. 

On this forum we can help with finding settings that should help. We just need OSCAR data and patience. Pun intended.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can i ask for my sleep study full results? should i order used cpap already?
Post Reply Post Reply
You should have a copy of your sleep report. If you can get it, post it with your personal information redacted. 

As to whether you should get a CPAP, you may want to wait for the sleep study results. If you can rent one and want to do so, rent a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto (a series 11 Vauto would be fine as well). That way we have more ways of fine-tuning the settings rather than using an AirSense. If you would rather buy one, that is the one to get as well. You could always sell it later if you decide not to keep it.

Note that not all sleep issues can be corrected by using a CPAP. Read the following article on sleep hygiene and see if anything stands out.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-hygiene
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 33 5,082 10-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: SenatorBirch
  Uars/need help please Jlcdsc 1 97 09-29-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [Pressure] Recently diagnosed with UARS and prescribed Bilevel. Need help with settings. cloudwalker 7 568 09-29-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jlcdsc
  Bilevel self-titration for UARS ChickenTenders 11 730 09-26-2024, 12:33 PM
Last Post: ChickenTenders
  Help with Sleep Study Results cjk422 8 319 09-25-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: cjk422
  Early waking, unrefreshed sleep, UARS? WinnerFieldman 1 217 09-19-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: WinnerFieldman
  Understanding sleep study results Moemah123 11 441 09-18-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.