Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ready to give it another try! Welcoming any suggestions
Ready to give it another try! Welcoming any suggestions
Hi all,

Off and on CPAP user for many years.  Never got any immediate relief from CPAP, even on good score days.  Frustration gets the best of me and I stop using for periods at a time.  Starting to get brain fog for the first time in my life and ready to start conquering apnea for good.

The first 2 images (03/19 & 03/24 are using F30i mask and the last image is F20)

My #1 problem that I can gather from waking up & removing mask is the pressure feels or sounds too intense.

Details:
36 y/o Male
6' 180lbs
Diagnosed around age 30
Mouth breather
I believe I'm a side sleeper

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ready to give it another try! Welcoming any suggestions
Hi egoodman! - Welcome

It appears that using the EPR and the higher pressures are causing you to have CAs. Let's try to get down to basics and tweak from there. I would suggest that you set both the minimum and maximum to 10 cm and turn off your EPR. This setting should be high enough to treat any OAs and hypopneas, except positional caused ones (chin tucking or on your back). With the EPR off, should reduce or eliminate the CAs caused by CO2 washout that can be caused by the pressure difference.

Keep us informed of your results.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
Project Manager for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for a quick and informative response!

I do remember when I first got the machine, it had EPR turned off and was uncomfortable. Is that something that people tend to adjust/get used to with time?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey egoodman,

Immediate results for most of us never happened. This cpap therapy stuff takes some work, experimenting, patience and probably a box full of mask. It’s almost like a science project it seems.
Little tweaks here and there along with good sleep hygiene seems to be a good approach.
Dial flipping usually ends in frustration. Stick with it . Baby steps. It looks like you have some chin tucking going on. That’s where your chin is touching close to your chest and pinching the airway.
Maybe try a flatter pillow or one of those neck collars.

One of the real experts will be here shortly for better advice, but until then , keep at it and keep all your post in this one thread so we can follow you progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try reducing the EPR to 1 or 2. I'm was trying to get a baseline of where we need to go. If you can tolerate it, I recommend that you turn off the Ramp feature. It is delaying you being in the proper pressure for treatment. This pressure change can be causing arousals, too. That is also one of the reasons I wanted you at a static pressure. It is often easier to get used to a specific pressure as opposed to bouncing around the pressure range.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
Project Manager for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did the recommended adjustments!

Definitely allowing me to tolerate the mask longer, I believe.

Unfortunately I forgot to put my SD card back in the machine for a couple days but here's some results.

Thanks for the consideration!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your most recent results show your machine is set to provide a fixed pressure of 10.0 with no EPR. There are still quite a few OA events and flow limitation is very high. I will suggest some changes that should up your game in comfort and effectiveness:
Mode: Autoset Standard
Minimum Pressure 10.0
Maximum Pressure 14.0
EPR: On Full-Time
EPR setting: 3

These settings take you back to previous settings that actually resulted in lower AHI. Your June 28 and 30 obstructive events show some clusters that may be from chin-tucking, and I think positional apnea is the main contributor to your poor results, rather than EPR. Here are the articles on positional apnea and the soft cervical collar for your consideration.

Positional apnea https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea
Soft cervical collar https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea Generator Suggestions For CPAP Machine? edenmaker 11 429 10-21-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: edenmaker
  New to CPAP, changed min pressure to 7, need suggestions? namastelondon235 5 168 10-19-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  The squeaking sound is about to make me give up. (Video) UKFan643 5 322 10-08-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: mogulman
  Therapy Suggestions Keesh23 11 600 09-12-2024, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Keesh23
  Airsense 10 replacement: suggestions? newmar 7 414 09-11-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Suggestions? TinySteve 11 553 09-02-2024, 08:50 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New User - Looking For Suggestions VeryTired 13 531 09-01-2024, 03:50 PM
Last Post: VeryTired

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.