Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation question
Dreamstation question
Hello, I've been a member since 2015 and a CPAP user since 2003 so a long time constant user. I have a Phillips Dreamstation, that was part of the recall (two years ago). My doctor and insurance company decided that a new machine was what I needed so a new Resmed Airsense 10 was ordered. I went ahead and went through the recall process without any urgency on my part. Three or four months or so ago I received instructions on how to get my replacement so I went through that process, about two months ago I received the replacement. It has sat since then. Last night I decided to use it just to make sure everything worked with my intentions to keep it as a back-up and maybe when I travel. Kind of a rambling story to get to the issue. When I turn the machine on the blue power light turns on and I get the immediate rush of air, as soon as I exhale the machine turns off and the power light turns off, I can take 3-4 breaths and it turns back on and as soon as I exhale it turns off. As soon as I got the unit I took it to my DME and had them check it for my prescription just to make sure it was set according to my needs. I should also note my DME is not a Phillips dealer but their technician was familuar with them and new how to check it out.
Bobby
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation question
This almost sounds like the DreamStation Auto-On/Off feature is turned on and results in a shut-down of the machine too early.  That might be a machine problem, but if you'd like something in the meantime to stop it, you might try turning the Auto-On/Off feature off (assuming it's now turned on).

That's done within the Clinician Mode setup area, I think.  Directions on how to get into the Clinician Mode are here:
https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions

When set to OFF, the machine won't turn off automatically.

When set to ON, the machine will turn off when the mask is removed (takes about 60 seconds or more before it will turn off). It will also re-start the machine when it senses you breathing in.

Personally, when using that machine, I had it turned off, because it would turn off during the night at times for no apparent reason and wake me up.

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks but not it. I went into the Clinician Mode and checked it. Also it acts the same with or without the humidifier. As soon as I exhale it shuts off then about 5 seconds later it turns back on. Not that I think this is a problem but I'll throw it out there. A year ago (the exchange process had already started) we had a house fire that caused us to pack up and move out while repairs were made. I was already using my Air Sense 10 and I lost the Phillips power supply in the packing and unpacking. I have an 80 watt 12 volt 6.67 amp power supply with the same plug on it and that is what I'm using. If need be I'll buy the Phillips Power Supply. I've been in the electronics technicial field a long time and can't imagine the power supply is that proprietary. The unit is just going to be put up as a back up machine but it needs to be tested periodically to ensure it's operating.
Post Reply Post Reply
New guy here.

As an IT person the power supply was the first thing I thought of. May or may not be the issue, but it is where I would start.

~DK
Post Reply Post Reply
Get the OEM PSU, the Dreamstations are better than the Resmed machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't mind getting the OEM PSU, it's not but $75.00. I just want someone to explain how/if the OEM PSU is more than a power supply. As someone who has been in the electronics technical field for more than 55 years and worked on everything from simple radios to the most complex 911 communications systems and everything in between I'd just like to understand before spending the money on another PSU. If they are sending a tickle signal or pulse down the DC line then yes an OEM supply is needed if there supply is just 12 VDC at 6.67 amps then any PSU with the correct rating should work. I'll try and find a DME in my area that carries the Dreamstation to test it and see if it needs to be sent back to Phillips. My guess is Phillips sent me a defective unit.

Thanks everyone for your inputs, it's nice to have a forum where questions can be asked and folks are truly helpful.

Bobby
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE:
I just spent 1/2 an hour on the phone with Phillips and they are sending out a new/refurbished unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to bring closure to this post, I finally got a different Dreamstation and all is now okay. I did find a local DME that reps the Phillips Dream station and talked to them and was told what I experienced with my replacement unit was not an isolated case, they had 3 units in the past year to show the same or similar issues.

I want to thank everyone that responded to me, that is what makes a form like this so successful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 2 Question mawaw1992 5 745 08-05-2023, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Question Question on using a Resmed S9 vs a Dreamstation 1 nbdsv96 3 765 06-20-2023, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  Setup question switching from Dreamstation to AirCurve 10 VAuto OceanChild 16 1,766 01-12-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 2,192 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,845 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  Dreamstation 2 Question edyurgal 7 1,216 07-15-2022, 03:35 PM
Last Post: edyurgal
  Question about changing new DreamStation Auto CPAP settings FLsleeper7 7 2,619 06-21-2022, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.