Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clenching caused by Positional Apnea (or vice versa)?
Clenching caused by Positional Apnea (or vice versa)?
            Hi, long story short:

25M, 5'11 165lbs, exercise frequently (when I'm not too tired).

I wake up feeling like complete crap every single day. Sleep study came back with minor sleep apnea and I started CPAP but eventually moved to BiPAP because I had a harder time tolerating it.

My main symptom (besides terrible sleep quality) is that I clench my jaw a lot during sleep. I don't grind whatsoever but I can definitely feel myself during sleep basically like *Chomp...rest...Chomp...rest*.

I got botox for my jaw muscles and a nightguard but I haven't gotten any relief from it.

I think it is my neck position during sleep that is causing my issues but I am not totally sure, does my OSCAR data look like it's positional apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clenching caused by Positional Apnea (or vice versa)?
Did you do this clenching before you used a pap machine, or only since you started therapy?  If you had it before, it's probably not treatment-related.  If you developed it after therapy began, maybe it has to do with anxiety.  Are you anxious and worried about your treatment?  That might cause it.  In any case, I hope you find a way to solve it soon!  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clenching caused by Positional Apnea (or vice versa)?
I just did an internet search:  

1. Possible Mechanisms:
    • Although the exact relationship isn’t fully understood, some theories suggest that:
      • During an apnea episode, tissue collapse in the airway leads to airway instability.
      • The brain signals the jaw muscles to tighten, attempting to stiffen the softer sides of the throat.
        This increased muscle activity in the jaw may cause grinding or clenching.  
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Controlling Positional sleep apnea GeorgeGus 5 390 09-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 26 4,703 09-09-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Increases in pressure not stopping OAs? Positional apnea? imtiqurr 10 491 08-29-2024, 06:15 PM
Last Post: imtiqurr
  Preventing positional apneas, flat pillow or not? Newcpaper 7 369 08-27-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Positional Apnea and going for CPAP EddyDee 27 3,658 06-30-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Fantasieimpromptu
  Positional Apnea or Something Else? MrIvanDrago 1 251 06-03-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Positional Apnea or Something Else? MrIvanDrago 2 229 06-03-2024, 08:37 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.