Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Controlling Positional sleep apnea
Controlling Positional sleep apnea
I have positional sleep apnea. When I sleep on my back, I can record 30 obstructive apneas in one hour. On my side I basically have zero apnea and excellent charts in Oscar.

I use a Resmed air curve 10 BiPAP. I read that finding the right EPAP pressure can control positional supine obstructive apnea. I have just started experimenting with the EPAP pressures so no success yet

Has anyone been successful in controlling positional sleep apnea using a BiPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Controlling Positional sleep apnea
Post a recent OSCAR chart. Let us see what we're dealing with.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No.  No setting on any pap machine can affect positional apnea.  It is caused by tipping your chin toward your chest.  Some people can overcome it by sleeping on a flatter pillow, but most end up needing to wear a soft cervical collar.  Drug stores offer a few of them and Amazon offers lots of them.  If you're going to get one you need to choose one that is high enough to hold your chin up.  I like the Caldera Releaf Collar, which is available on Amazon, but some men need one that is higher than the Caldera offers.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

After the break I decided to sleep on my back at around 3:30. I stayed on back for the next 45 minutes and had a constant barrage of obstructive apneas. I then slept on my side where I experienced very few apneas. Sure would like to be able to control those supine apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, you can't control positional apnea with pressure adjustments.  But there are other things you can do.  It's not so much that you're sleeping on your back, but how you are sleeping.

You have to be aware if you are tucking your chin into your chest, thus cutting your air off, like a kink in a hose cuts off water.  This can happen if you're using more than one pillow or a too tall pillow.  Use a thinner type pillow, but still supportive.  Some folk use a soft cervical collar to keep their chin up.  Nothing wrong with sleeping on your back, but you'll have to take measures to change how you're sleeping.

Have you read through this article:   Positional Apnea

Again, pressure adjustments won't fix this.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The above is correct in Positional Apnea. However your pressure settings aren't ideal either. Consider removing Ramp as you get no effective therapy each time Ramp occurs, which is every therapy segment start, not just the beginning of the entire session. This last OSCAR chart shows 3 segments start, include 3 Ramp times.

Second, your EPAP pressure is beginning a bit low as well. Instead of 4.6 let's try 5.8 or 6, as this was at your 95% EPAP number. This you get you right into therapy without delays, it may be more comfortable in case you feel any air starvation.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] My Sleep Apnea is Worse than Yours... plz Help!! memoryNada786 8 559 09-13-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: memoryNada786
  can I test for sleep apnea by setting a very low pressure? joelin02 12 497 09-11-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 26 4,577 09-09-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Sleep Apnea CPAP/OSCAR/OSA/CA trish1028 1 171 09-08-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Central sleep apnea - titration study didn't work blossom 1 183 08-30-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Increases in pressure not stopping OAs? Positional apnea? imtiqurr 10 432 08-29-2024, 06:15 PM
Last Post: imtiqurr
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 255 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.