Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

can I test for sleep apnea by setting a very low pressure?
can I test for sleep apnea by setting a very low pressure?
My doc says I have sleep apnea after a sleep study but I never saw the raw data. I watched some videos of OSCAR data interpretation and saw that many of the apneas that were flagged by the tool were simply incorrect. This leads me to think that my diagnosis could have mistakes as well. There have been some nights were I barely used my CPAP and others where I used it a lot and I felt the same either way.

Can I set my CPAP pressure to a very low setting and then observe my OSCAR flow data for signs of apena? If so, what low setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: can I test for sleep apnea by setting a very low pressure?
You should get your sleep report from your Dr. it’s your documents and frankly they should have given them to you as soon as you completed your test.

You could down load Oscar. The software that everyone here uses, it’s free and then use your cpap machine for a few nights and review the data.

Read up on the correct way to format your chart and put a SD card in your machine before you use it. Then the next morning you can pull the card and review your nights events on Oscar.

Also keep all your questions in this thread so we have your history.

Welcome to AB.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you live in the US, by law, your doctor has to provide a copy of your sleep study if you request it.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally, you cannot use a CPAP device to test for sleep apnea as, even at low pressures, you will be receiving therapy, which may skew the results. The gold standard is an in-lab sleep study, representing only a snapshot under stressful conditions.

As others have noted, you are legally entitled to your sleep study, doctor's reports, notes, prescriptions, etc.

Best download OSCAR and post some data for further analysis and comment.

Please remember that these are observations and suggestions for follow-up and do not represent medical advice. When in doubt or feeling uneasy, consult a competent medical professional.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I did get a PDF report from the doctor that listed out my summary which had AHI, CA, OA, values and time I was asleep, % time I was in each sleep stage, SpO2, etc. 

The issue is all of those are interpretations of the raw data, the polysomnogram.

I was hoping to get access to the raw data, doctor said no. 

Do I really have a right to the polysomnogram?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it sounds like you did get a sleep report . I agree with your Dr. you don’t need the raw data and he doesn’t need to waste time with that. You probably can’t interpret all the info anyway. I would take it for what it says and concentrate on my therapy.  

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
What you can and should get is the detailed, finished report with charts and recommendations. There's typically 2 reports for sleep studies, summary and detailed. Try the request again and ask for the detailed. Detailed is not the raw data.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2024, 05:33 AM)Nightynite Wrote: Well it sounds like you did get a sleep report . I agree with your Dr. you don’t need the raw data and he doesn’t need to waste time with that. You probably can’t interpret all the info anyway. I would take it for what it says and concentrate on my therapy.  

Sleep-well

For a forum that helps people retrieve and interpret their raw data on their CPAP, I'm pretty disappointed in this response. Even if I can't interpret all of it, I'm sure I can figure out some of it. There are resources out there for helping people do just that. A short explainer from someone who can will also go a long way.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2024, 07:32 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: What you can and should get is the detailed, finished report with charts and recommendations. There's typically 2 reports for sleep studies, summary and detailed. Try the request again and ask for the detailed. Detailed is not the raw data.

Sure there was a chart at the end, but it was terribly small and still largely created as an interpretation of some other data source. It was a chart with all these tick marks for when it detected apneas. I wish there was something more like CPAP flow rate that we see on OSCAR (I did wear a CPAP device for the 2nd half of my 1st sleep study as well as all of my 2nd sleep study) combined with SpO2 and whats going on with the chest strap for respiration effort detection.
Post Reply Post Reply
You had a split study, half diagnostic half Titration. That's fine for most.

To me, the important data for the test report is the table that shows diagnostic events of type and count. Then the doctor's recommendation.

If you didn't get those 2, request the detailed report.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP Setting Adjustment rockyc88 4 141 09-13-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question [CPAP] My Sleep Apnea is Worse than Yours... plz Help!! memoryNada786 8 558 09-13-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: memoryNada786
  Controlling Positional sleep apnea GeorgeGus 5 296 09-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 26 4,573 09-09-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Sleep Apnea CPAP/OSCAR/OSA/CA trish1028 1 169 09-08-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 15 1,455 09-03-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  [Equipment] Central sleep apnea - titration study didn't work blossom 1 180 08-30-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.