Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Help with lowering AHI, better sleep
Help with lowering AHI, better sleep
Hi everyone, new member on the forum here Smile

I have been using CPAP for the past couple years and can't seem to feel that much better (still feel foggy and tired but the migraines have gone away). I've done two sleep studies (can attach in separate post), and doctor recommended me to stick with a pressure of 8cm, EPR 3. 

On average I hover around 4 AHI but cant seem to get it lower after playing around with different settings (I am on EPR 1 right now to test - seems like it has been the best AHI score so far). 

It would be very helpful if anyone could provide some advice after looking at some daily OSCAR data I have posted (Let me know if I need to include the pressure chart. It is only 7 for 10 mins ramp and 8 for the rest of the night). 

I am still not the best in reading OSCAR results, but I am a bit concerned about my AHI spiking pretty high periodically in the night. My first sleep test indicated I only really get a high AHI during REM sleep. 

Thanks for your time and help!

Here are my sleep study reports - Thank you

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with lowering AHI, better sleep
Please read the link in my signature on how to format OSCAR charts. Having the correctly formatted charts makes it easier for us to help.

The way your events cluster together points to positional apnoea’s. A flatter pillow should help. Also consider a soft cervical collar to help keeping your neck from kinking by dropping towards your chest.

For pressure if you are open to suggestions, consider trying a range of 11-15 EPR 3. That will clear up the flow limits and have headroom if the machine needs to increase pressure. Plus it will give us a starting point for fine-tuning things. It will give you the same EPAP as you use today and a bit more IPAP. You could also consider starting with a range of 8-15 EPR 3 with gives you the same IPAP as today as a starting point with less EPAP.

If you only want to use fixed, then try a fixed pressure of 11 with an EPR of 3. That way you get pressure relief to help with flow limits and your EPAP is the same as what you use today.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with lowering AHI, better sleep
Thank you so much for your response. I really struggle with variable pressure when sleeping so I tried using the fixed pressure settings you recommended. I think my body is still adjusting to the pressure so I've woken up a couple times through the night. Here are the results of last night attached. I will also look into the cervical collar.

Thank you for your help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 231 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71
  [Pressure] Lowering AHI oliviaissleepy 14 520 08-21-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 28 1,499 08-04-2024, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Sleep position affecting sleep test AHI/OSA classification Fox66 7 375 06-21-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 8 920 05-21-2024, 03:06 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 5 531 04-30-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 479 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.