Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aircurve 10 VAuto and Large Leak Problems
Aircurve 10 VAuto and Large Leak Problems
Set up Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto for first use last night. Kept all the default settings except minor changes to TiMax and TiMin based on the chart in the Clinic manual. Took a 10 minute nap at 5PM and the results were essentially perfect. Last night's results were far from perfect but a general improvement over my previous Resmed Airsense CPAP.

One of the main problems seems to be my Large Leak. It was high in both versions of the Resmed, which seems to indicate it is a mask fitting problem. Right now I am using a Fisher & Paykel Solo. It is the most comfortable mask I have yet to use and would hate to lose it. I tested it out using the Mask Leak Test on the Resmed. I laid on my back, on my side, got out of bed, went back into bed, move my head a lot, but I could not cause a leak. I mostly a side sleeper, so I can only think I am turning my head into my pillow and displacing the mask. I had the same leak problems with two other nasal masks I tried with the Airsense. 

Note that the LL is quite frequent during my first half with few occurrences in the second half and at a lower rate. It seems the leak fixed itself. I did not consciously fix it or wake up until much later. Median rate was 1.20. Oximeter ODI was 3.1 compared to 11.56 AHI. I had to get up at 7:30 because I was breathing so poorly. I got out of bed for 5 minutes, went back without mask, and slept normally for the next 1.5 hours.

Any thoughts on what is causing the Large Leak?

Also any recommendations for Aircurve settings?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aircurve 10 VAuto and Large Leak Problems
I found the ResMed machine leak test to be too vague to be helpful in any way. Red frowny or green grinning ghouls cannot compare to the OSCAR chart.

think the spikey leak pattern will be the mask itself, while the wider rounded somewhat flattened areas will be mouth leaks.

Examples of spikey leak pattern from the beginning of the session to about 01:45, and others that look similar.

Example of the wider mouth leak, about 1:50-2:05, 2:25-3:35 etc.

With the elevated Central Apnea, consider changing the Trigger to High.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the help.

I will change trigger to High.

What do you think of MinEPAP, MaxIPAP and PS settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
The only one you may have want to try to edit may be PS from 4 to 3. I would try trigger edit first.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Much appreciated.

One important point I totally forgot to mention is that when I begin sleeping I say a short three word mantra. On both inspiration and expiration, I can say the whole mantra.

Six hours later when I am experiencing difficulty breathing, I can say the whole mantra on inspiration but only two words of it on expiration. Is there something I can change to help my expiration and breathing?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 6 831 5 hours ago
Last Post: THEVGE
  [Mod Note] Are There Any Aircurve 11 ST ot ST-A Users? Crimson Nape 2 140 10-05-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Does anyone know if the Dream Wear's large mask is bigger than the F30i's medium? erouting 0 82 10-04-2024, 06:28 PM
Last Post: erouting
  Resmed Aircurve 10 VAUTO turning itself off and on throughout the night?? 17WRX 4 157 09-29-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: 17WRX
  Should Mask Removal Trigger Leak Alarm? Perchance2Dream 1 115 09-29-2024, 08:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  CPAP Mask Size Issue: Will Switching to a Large Prevent My Morning Headaches? sinanacar 5 394 09-28-2024, 07:17 AM
Last Post: sinanacar
  acquired an aircurve vauto 10/self titrating eok361 9 414 09-26-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.