Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Mask Size Issue: Will Switching to a Large Prevent My Morning Headaches?
CPAP Mask Size Issue: Will Switching to a Large Prevent My Morning Headaches?
I use a Fisher & Paykel Evora FFM for my CPAP therapy. My head is slightly larger than average. The mask I'm using is a standard size, which is the only size available in my country. However and interestingly, I have to tighten the mask more than usual to prevent leaks, and this causes headaches in the morning.

If I can find and purchase a large size, would it be beneficial for me? Or would I still need to use the same tightness, making the purchase unnecessary?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Mask Size Issue: Will Switching to a Large Prevent My Morning Headaches?
I’m not sure anyone could answer that question, since each face is unique. However, tightening the mask too tight can also create leaks. You could try some padding on the straps. You can buy those, or improvise. Some people use masl liners to minimize leaks.

Where exactly is the mask leaking? At the corners of your mouth? Because your mouth drops open? At the sides of the nostril?

How much, exactly, is the mask leaking? If your unit will record to SD, you can analyze what the conditions are for leaks, and exactly how much leaking is taking place. It would be a rare person who didn’t have some leaks.

Also, if you haven’t replaced your mask cushion for a while, they can get leaky when the silicon gets fatigued.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Mask Size Issue: Will Switching to a Large Prevent My Morning Headaches?
(08-09-2024, 11:30 PM)sinanacar Wrote: If I can find and purchase a large size, would it be beneficial for me? Or would I still need to use the same tightness, making the purchase unnecessary?

A larger mask needs more force to keep it on your face as long as the pressure is the same. Hence, switching it larger would not reduce the tightness of the straps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2024, 01:02 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I’m not sure anyone could answer that question, since each face is unique. However, tightening the mask too tight can also create leaks. You could try some padding on the straps. You can buy those, or improvise. Some people use masl liners to minimize leaks.

Where exactly is the mask leaking? At the corners of your mouth? Because your mouth drops open? At the sides of the nostril?

How much, exactly, is the mask leaking? If your unit will record to SD, you can analyze what the conditions are for leaks, and exactly how much leaking is taking place. It would be a rare person who didn’t have some leaks.

Also, if you haven’t replaced your mask cushion for a while, they can get leaky when the silicon gets fatigued.

i completely agree to this. the mask you need would depend on the face of your face.

Personal anecdote:  It was my first time switching from nasal pillow mask to full face mask.  I was given large vitera after fitting with my respiratory therapist.  But it was leaking like crazy to the point that i would be awaken with wind gushing out hte side corners in the middle of the night. Plus there is that headache that i am not sure if it was because of the multiple adjustment i need to do with the mask.  So we eventually switched to a medium mask - with same issue.  We decided to use Evora, but i asked to have the fit pack instead of the recommended Large by the sizer.  With evora, i find myself air hungry with the large and medium - i guess because the hole is not aligned with my nostrils (I am southeast asian).  so despite the advise of the RT, i tried the small wide before i return the mask.  i was surprised with how it solved all my problems - no headache, no leaks, continuous sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
My trend with Fisher and Paykel is masks work better when looser than expected. I've not yet used Evora full though.

In fact, despite mask brand, too tight will set up more leaking with distortion of cushion.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 11 1,615 Yesterday, 01:44 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  Switching to BiPAP gary w 9 185 09-12-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask Seal issue HarveyCPAP 2 116 09-11-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: HarveyCPAP
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 181 09-05-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 400 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Thinking about switching to Resmed F40 FFM buddy0329 6 196 09-02-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Humidifier Issue Vako 11 343 08-31-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Vako

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.