Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thinking about switching to Resmed F40 FFM
Thinking about switching to Resmed F40 FFM
Been using the Resmed N20 successfully for ~7 years.  AHI is almost always 0-2.  Last few months my spouse has noticed air leaks, I've woken up with dry mouth, and I've caught myself waking up / falling asleep with a dropped/open jaw.  Air leaks with the N20 have been 30-50 L/min in the last month.  Went back to some of my old Oscar data and previously it had been 10-30 L/min.

I had a Resmed F30 FFM mask in the closet that I decided to retry last week.  When I first tried this about 6-9 months ago, I put it away after just a couple of nights becaus I did not feel comfortable with a FFM in general and also found it uncomfortable versus the more minimal footprint of the N20 nasal mask.

Over the last week with the N30 I believe I figured out how to get the most of it and have been sleeping great actually.  No more dry mouth, and I am waking up nice and alert.  Leaks with the F30 have been lowered to 5-15 L/minute and AHI has been 0-2 every night.  I'm a side sleeper and can comfortably bury the side of my face with the F30 into my pillow without generating air leaks.

My complaint with the F30 is the comfort of the straps and marks on my face and head in the morning.  This has me thinking about spending out of pocket funds to order an F40.  I would normally qualify for a new mask and headgear through my insurance in October.

F30 users....how many of you have taken the plunge with F40?  Was it an improvement in comfort over the F30?  What can you tell me about sizing?

In the N20 I am a medium headgear + medium cushion.  Large cushion on the N20 is too large and results in leaks.  My F30 is a medium.  I downloaded Resmed's F40 fitment guide / cutout, but I cannot get it print out to the accurate scale, regardless of my computer  or printer settings so I don't want to rely using it.

My APAP pressures are set to 12-20 and I am consistently in the 12-14 range overnight.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Thinking about switching to Resmed F40 FFM
If you do a quick search you will find several threads about the F40. Lots of people like it a lot. I gather most find it more comfortable.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to Product Review Forum and then click on CPAP Mask ReviewsBigwink

There's a 10 page thread on them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2024, 02:07 PM)Big Guy Wrote: Go to Product Review Forum and then click on CPAP Mask ReviewsBigwink

There's a 10 page thread on them.

Yup...I've read that one as well as a few others.  Was looking to see if I would catch any fresh takes given it is such a new product release.

In my impatience I just decided to bite the bullet and order the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I obtained one a few weeks ago. I did okay by it, but my F30 is still my go to mask. I also have some F20's on hand when I feel the urge to switch things out a bit.

My DME supplier just sent me two new cushions and some headgear for my F40. 

I like having all the AirFits on hand. I'm good to go............ Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2024, 03:05 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I obtained one a few weeks ago. I did okay by it, but my F30 is still my go to mask. I also have some F20's on hand when I feel the urge to switch things out a bit.

My DME supplier just sent me two new cushions and some headgear for my F40. 

I like having all the AirFits on hand. I'm good to go............ Cool

It's so difficult given we're all individuals trying to address different variables, concerns, and issues.  

F20 was the very first mask I tried when I began cpap therapy.  I failed miserably with it pulling the mask off my face multiples times a night.  I don't think I lasted more than 3-4 nights with it.  I've since come to learn that the primary issue was probably my doctor setting up the machine with a 4-20 pressure setting.  I'm curious to know how I'd fare with the same mask today with my settings all dialed in now.

If I can find a good all-around FFM that I can rely on, I'll have to figure out what to do with the dozens of extra N20 cushions I have in the storage bin in my closet.
Post Reply Post Reply
The AirFit F20 was the mask that I used when I started CPAP Therapy. I did fine by it. It wasn't until about a full year later that I tried an F30. 

That was a big improvement for me! I have an F40, but the F30 is still the one I prefer.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Wanted to close the loop on this thread.

Received the F40 about a week and a half ago, and been using it nightly:

Much more comfortable than F30.  Straps do not need to be as tight as F30 to get a good seal.
Good seal, leaks are less than 5L per minute.  
I am waking up with some dry mouth, which probably means some mouth breathing going on which is why I wanted to find a suitable FFM for me.  I do have the Airsense 11 set to automatic humidity.

This mask feels like a winner! I miss the minimal face contact of the N20, but I am glad to have found another mask that works well for me, and especially a FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switching to BiPAP gary w 9 214 09-12-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Thinking of Taking a Break Until I Can Get Bilevel Idub88 31 980 09-08-2024, 07:33 PM
Last Post: PlayerTwo
  AHI very high after switching from Dreamstation to Aircurve 10 mu50256 15 573 08-25-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992
  carnuntum - Switching from Prisma APAP to Aircurve bi-level therapy carnuntum 8 1,469 08-16-2024, 05:19 AM
Last Post: carnuntum
  [CPAP] Switching from DS2 to Airsense 11 - Struggling tyler.durden 3 246 08-11-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP Mask Size Issue: Will Switching to a Large Prevent My Morning Headaches? sinanacar 4 288 08-10-2024, 12:49 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Thinking about trying Mirage Liberty kingpin 7 1,364 08-07-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.