Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lowenstein issues
Lowenstein issues
I used a DeVilbiss Blue AutoPlus CPAP for 6+ years without any issues. It fixed pretty much all my problems and after the first week or two of slight fiddling with the settings to get everything right never again changed or adjusted anything and used it happily for years. About 6 months ago I was forced to switch to a Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max. Ever since then I've experience a host of problems that I never had with the DeVilbiss and it's driving me crazy. I've been in contact with the sleep clinic many times and they've adjusted all kinds of settings over time, which reduced the issues, but none of them have really been fully eliminated. And throughout the whole time all of the stats are basically showing everything green and according to the sleep clinic I'm receiving excellent treatment, so I have a feeling they're not taking my complaints very seriously.

The biggest issues I've experienced are:

- A very dry throat. This was absolutely terrible in the beginning, I didn't think it was possible for a human throat to get that dry. it got significantly better as they adjusted some settings and also gave me a humidifier, but my throat is still much drier than it ever was with the DeVilbiss, which didn't even have a humidifier.
- frequent events where I try to take a breath but no air comes in from the machine and I choke. Like someone stepped on the hose for a moment and completely blocked the airflow. This was also much worse in the beginning but they managed to reduce it, although it still happens occasionally, especially in the mornings, and it's very disturbing.
- according to my wife the mask is leaking a lot and I'm also snoring much more than before. The stats show very low to no leaking, but she literally recorded it one night with her phone while the stats showed no leakage that night.

I should also add that the mask and hose are exactly the same as the ones I used with the DeVilbiss, so no change there, only the machine changed.

There are a number of other things that annoy me with the Lowenstein, but these are the most significant ones. Unfortunately I can't continue using the DeVilbiss due to not being able to get any support/consumables from my insurance. The Lowenstein is the only device they offer so I'm stuck with it.

Any ideas what could be happening here or what I should try? Is it possible I simply have a machine with some kind of mechanical issue that doesn't show up on the data uploaded to the sleep clinic? Should I try to get the machine replaced? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lowenstein issues
The consumables are not a lot.  Once you have the machine your cost is low.  I have not changed my mask or hose for over a year.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a lowenstein as well. 
Please see my thread on dynamic vs std. 
This could be helpful for you. 
My complaint about my machine is the inability to get details on my phone. 
I have to pull the card and upload it to the pc. 
Other than that it's pretty sturdy. 
People call it Darth Vader. 
It is super quiet.
Post Reply Post Reply
@staceyburke Yeah, I thought about continuing to use the old machine and just buying the supplies myself. But I figured I'm going to have to face changing the machine at some point anyways, it's eventually going to stop working, or become obsolete with the supplies no longer being available, or something. So might as well face that hurdle now. Plus I like the idea of formally being a patient of the sleep clinic, which is only possible if I use a machine they support.
Post Reply Post Reply
@larrygreg Thank you for the suggestions. Switching to dynamic is one of the first things they did, along with giving me a humidifier. Those two definitively helped a lot compared to the beginning. But even though it's much better now, it's still worse than the DeVilbiss.
Browsing through this board I got the sense that the Lowenstein is very well regarded, which is what made me think if it's possible that maybe just the one I have has some sort of defect? Because it doesn't make sense that it seems to work so well for everyone else, or that I would have so many problems with it compared to a device that's positively obsolete in comparison.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Issues vs Nasal Pillows Issues FozzyDaBear 8 193 Yesterday, 03:58 PM
Last Post: FozzyDaBear
  F40 Mask Issues Jimnyc2000 2 177 09-15-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: car54
  Need Advice -- Having A Lot of Issues npolite 3 149 09-13-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: npolite
  Weinmann / Löwenstein Prisma 20A Auto CPAP: APAP settings: standard vs. dynamic Costas P 7 12,727 09-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: donsburg
  [Treatment] Persistent Hypopnea and Unclassified Apnea Issues with BiPap Settings behtaaash 7 319 09-09-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Assistance with wife's CPAP issues Hammer641 6 209 09-01-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AitFit F20 With Dreamstation - AAV Issues kymmitsu 9 3,295 08-28-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.