Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask Issues vs Nasal Pillows Issues
Full Face Mask Issues vs Nasal Pillows Issues
Hi all,

I'm currently experiencing a little bit of a dilemma and was hoping for some input. I've been a cpap user for about 7 years. Struggled with cpap and sleep up until I hid a mild stroke back in 2020 (have recovered from the stroke). Prior to the stroke I was a nasal pillow user but had high leaks due mouth opening. I tried a soft cervical collar with not much luck Tried mouth tape but it didn't stick (pun intended). Couldn't get used to the feel plus didn't like no being able to talk.

Post stroke, I switched to a full face mask using the Resmed F30. Everything was going fine and therapy was good until about 18 months later, I developed jaw pain. I overtightened button straps to prevent mask leaks which likely caused the jaw pain. I switched to the Evora FFM which reduced the jaw pain some but still there. I dealt with that for a while until I decided to try a nasal mask (N20). That worked for a while but gradually started to get more and more leaks due to mouth opening but jaw pain started to get better.

About 3 months ago, I switched back to a FFM but using F40 this time. Jaw pain is coming back which is why I know have a dilemma. I get my best sleep with the FFM but the jaw pain concerns me. I don't want to ruin my bite and/or develop bad TMJ. If I switch back to the nasal mask/pillows, I don't get the best sleep due to mouth leaks that I have been able to resolve. I tried mouth taping again with no success. I sleep on my back mostly as I'm trying to rest a hurt shoulder. I've gotten vertigo twice when sleeping on my side with no shoulder pain (I've got issues, lol).

Which route do you think I should go? FFM with jaw pain and potentially see a dentist for a mouth guard vs nasal mask/pillow and fight with mouth tape with hopes to eventually get past the hurdle?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask Issues vs Nasal Pillows Issues
I'm using the Fisher and Paykel Evora Full myself now. I'm not getting anything close to pain with mine.

Are you still going very tight with the straps on any of your masks? On the Evora Full for example, it's quite loose until CPAP pressure inflates it, sealing things up.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2024, 08:45 PM)FozzyDaBear Wrote: Which route do you think I should go? FFM with jaw pain and potentially see a dentist for a mouth guard vs nasal mask/pillow and fight with mouth tape with hopes to eventually get past the hurdle?

Read through the Mask Primer for tips on mask fitting, especially this:

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph..._Jeffy1958
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I'm overtightening but can't be sure. Where I tend to have mask leaks is the lower part of the mask towards the bottom corners so to speak. I will start  with no leaks if my head is straight but if I turn my head a little then a leak will develop so I'll tighten. I often get chipmunk cheeks so finding the spot between getting a good seal vs not leaking has proved difficult. I'm being to wonder if I'm inadvertently pushing my jaw forward to compensate which is contributing to the jaw pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
(Yesterday, 04:53 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Read through the Mask Primer for tips on mask fitting, especially this:

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph..._Jeffy1958

I'm getting this error when trying access the link

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."
Post Reply Post Reply
I have TMJ and full face masks that go under the lips and above the chin cause me pain when they are tightened.

I tried the F&P FlexiFit 432 and I like it.  It goes under the chin and made a big difference for me.

If you want to try the FF432 one thing to keep in mind is that when I printed out the sizing guide and held it to my face it was showing a small would be the size to order.  But I had heard that the guide could be misleading, so I ordered both a small and medium to make sure I got the right one the first time.  The medium is the one that fit my face.  the small didn't even come close.
I will give a shoutout to Supplier #1, they processed the return of the small with no problems at all.  Made for an out of pocket purchase that was hassle free and at a good price.
Post Reply Post Reply
(Yesterday, 07:45 AM)FozzyDaBear Wrote: I'm getting this error when trying access the link

"Forbidden
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

The links seem to be ok. Try to click on the Mask Primer link in my signature line below. There would be no reason to get a 404 Forbidden error, as they are just Wiki articles.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(Yesterday, 07:45 AM)FozzyDaBear Wrote: I'm getting this error when trying access the link

"Forbidden

Are you using a VPN? I get errors like that once in awhile when my VPN is on, but if I turn it off the problem is corrected. (This suggestion is not specific to this Board, but when using VPNs in general. I do not remember having this problem on this Board, but I would not remember if I had.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(Yesterday, 01:32 PM)sptrout Wrote: Are you using a VPN? I get errors like that once in awhile when my VPN is on, but if I turn it off the problem is corrected. (This suggestion is not specific to this Board, but when using VPNs in general. I do not remember having this problem on this Board, but I would not remember if I had.)

I'm but it's also happening when not connected to my VPN. I think it's my ISP. My phone has the same issue but only when connected to my wifi after testing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F40 Mask Issues Jimnyc2000 2 181 09-15-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: car54
  Lowenstein issues m162 4 160 09-15-2024, 01:45 PM
Last Post: m162
  Need Advice -- Having A Lot of Issues npolite 3 152 09-13-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: npolite
  [Treatment] Persistent Hypopnea and Unclassified Apnea Issues with BiPap Settings behtaaash 7 320 09-09-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 460 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 18 2,245 09-04-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Assistance with wife's CPAP issues Hammer641 6 209 09-01-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.