Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feel more refreshed mouth breathing…
Feel more refreshed mouth breathing…
I’ve been using CPAP for like 2 months now, and I have way better sleep / wake up feeling fresher when I mouth breathe.

I’ve tried nasal mask, and mouth taping, and honestly even though the data shows <1AHI, I still feel dead in the morning.

Also, when I use the full mask, and wake up nose breathing I feel exhausted in the morning.

BUT, if I mouth breathe at the night and wake up I feel great.

My question, can I use like a nose block or something to force myself to mouth breathe, since it seems like something is messed up with my nose breathing? Or anything to try to breathe better with nose? 

Additional: I am looking for a temporary solution while I wait to see an ENT, I am in Canada and the wait time is around 1 year, so even though the solution might not be optimal, anything to help me feel better would be great! Also, I’ve tried Drixoral, and my nose felt super clear, but still I had the same issue. Also, my sleep with CPAP is always <1AHI, regardless of nose or mouth breathing, but for some reason I still feel dead in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feel more refreshed mouth breathing…
I do not think you should cover your nose. Nose breathing is extremely important, and you shouldn't constrict your breathing in any way imo. People that mouthbreathe typically do so because their nose does not work optimally, so I do not see the benefit of taping the mouth, unless mouth breathing is entirely out of habbit which is rare. If you feel the urge to mouth breathe, then a full face mask is def the way to go for now imo.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2024, 10:29 AM)r4robin Wrote: Or anything to try to breathe better with nose? 

NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit. Available on Amazon or at any drug store.

Also, try Nasacort or Astepro. Talk to your ENT about which one is better for you, or possibly take both.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input.

I’ve tried Drixoral, and my nose feels super clear with it, but for some reason I still have the same problem… do the sprays you mentioned act differently then Drixoral, and also is there benefits from taking both like you mentioned?
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal dilators (found on Amazon, etc.) can "pry" open the nasal cavities and make nasal breathing easier.  From my experience.  I like the soft silicone thimble- shaped nasal inserts.  Or even better and easier as a quick, stop-gap solution is breathe right strips.  Low cost, easy to use, and might open your nasal air passages to a significant degree.  Give them a try as you are waiting for your ENT consult in about a year.  This is what I did (before I had septoplasty and inferior turbinate reduction surgery).
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve tried Breathe Right Nose Strips, and Drixoral (Nasal Steroid), although both of them made me felt like I could breathe better (specifically Drixoral made me feel super clear), it didn’t help my sleep. Do you think dilators are worth a shot, or do they pretty much do the same thing? 

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course the decision is up to you.  They can be much more effective than breathe right strips, but more uncomfortable, too.  They don't cost much.  Less than $20 all of them.  There is one major advantage to the nasal dilators and one major disadvantage (from my experience using them).  Advantage:  you can literally "pry" you nasal cavity open with these things.  I like the soft silicone ones better than anything metal or harder though, because the longer I wore them in my nose, the more pain the metal and harder ones produced.  Disadvantage:  the pain and uncomfortableness of them (a large foreign object in your nose takes a night or two to get used to - at least that was my experience).  I tried about 7 different kinds.  The hollow (not solid) silicone thimble- shaped ones were the ones I could tolerate nightly the best (under my pap mask they worked fine).  You have to find the right size also.  You can either guess at one size or get a pack with multiple sizes.  You may even find a different design than this that you would like to try when you shop for nasal dilators.  I hope it goes well for you.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2024, 11:55 AM)r4robin Wrote: I’ve tried Drixoral, and my nose feels super clear with it, but for some reason I still have the same problem… do the sprays you mentioned act differently then Drixoral, and also is there benefits from taking both like you mentioned?

I don't really know, and everyone is different. You need to discuss this with your ENT.

When you lie down do your nasal passages restrict?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Our body is designed for normal breathing to be thru the nose. There are microchemicals released that are important
That said there is an oral mask, you may want to try that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Very high amounts of periodic breathing / CSR ? gregbe2000 38 1,321 7 hours ago
Last Post: gregbe2000
  [Treatment] New user struggling to wake up refreshed THEVGE 15 1,342 10-15-2024, 04:34 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  Philips BiPAP Breathing Difficulty indreams 6 276 10-13-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: indreams
  Nasal Pillows - Momentary Mouth Leakage Strategies? mark.apnea 2 226 10-11-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Bad at Breathing Haldir 41 1,949 10-11-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Considering turbinate reduction for better nasal breathing sleepingbetterinFl 29 985 10-09-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Breathing noise carmdf 1 156 10-08-2024, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.