Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night APAP - titration
First night APAP - titration
Hello. I've been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (75 AHI) and last night was my first night with Resmed Airsense 10 APAP and the sleep monitoring device for titration.(the same device used for my initial sleep study).

From OSCAR I see my AHI last night was 10.25, but most of the events were Clear Airways(CA) - 8.91. Both apneas (OA - 0.45) and Hypoanea(H - 0.89) seems to be very small.(less than 1). Is this a good result ?

I'm using a nasal mask from philips and it was comfortable, but my nose is always blocked and I feel it's hard to breath, no matter how many sprays/drops/pills I use.(I also have a nasal septum deviation) I'm considering switching to a full mask, but I'm not used to breath with my mouth and I would prefere to use only the nasal mask which is more comfortable.

One other problem I have is my throat gets very dry, but I hope this will improve after I move to a Resmed APAP with humidification. 

Do you have any advice/suggestions ? Also, is Clear Airway(CA) something to worry about or my actual AHI is 1.34 ?(apneas + hypoapneas)

Thank you. I'm a little nervous and your help is very much appreciated. I got really scared by my initial sleep study with 75 apneas + hypoaneas.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night APAP - titration
Let’s get you off the default settings and see where things land. From there we can fine-tune to better settings for you.

Try the following:

Mode APAP
Min pressure 8
Max pressure 15
EPR 2 full-time
No ramp

After a few nights post some more charts and we can help from there.

I cannot see the entire left hand table, so no idea to what humidity is set. Most likely the dryness is from the few large leaks coming from your mouth, but you can set both humidity and temp to “auto” as a starting point if not already there.

Many of us have deviated septum and other nasal issues, and use a nasal mask just fine. There is no problem using a full-face mask and continuing to nose breathe, then if you have to breathe through your mouth it is not a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Follow @peace love ‘s settings, sleep a couple of nights and post the Oscars. After the settings are sorted, then it will be easier to figure out mask issues. We will help there, too.

When the flow rate looks like the Alps, there’s generally a settings issue. It often disrupts sleep. Sharp rises in pressure can also dislodge the mask. Or, it can make you fling the mask off. Steady sleep usually goes along with a flow rate graph with less dramatic drops and elevations than the alps, more like plateaus and minor canyons.
So, get the settings sorted, then get the mask figured out.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my previous comment, when I referred to “flow rate”, I meant to be referring to the pressure chart.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 103 Yesterday, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 43 2,575 09-04-2024, 09:39 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  [Equipment] Central sleep apnea - titration study didn't work blossom 1 130 08-30-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Bilevel self-titration for UARS ChickenTenders 7 318 08-30-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: ChickenTenders
  returning APAP'er, help interpreting OSCAR please :) tml678 2 194 08-21-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: tml678
  carnuntum - Switching from Prisma APAP to Aircurve bi-level therapy carnuntum 8 1,417 08-16-2024, 05:19 AM
Last Post: carnuntum
  Resmed Airsense 10 APAP? daBee 33 1,721 08-15-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: daBee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.