Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flat-topped flow rate
Flat-topped flow rate
Ok, lots of leaks here I know, but I've finally gotten a few nights of data showing these flat-topped/pointed waveforms of my flow rate.

If I'm understanding this correctly, it means my airway isn't as open as it needs to be when I'm inhaling?

I do have a V-Com in use as it has helped me to re-acclimate to therapy since restarting in July.

I'm kicking around a few ideas in my head of what to try but I figured I would try to get some suggestions here first.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flat-topped flow rate
Your flow limit is in the ok range, so the algorithm does not consider the flattening serious.
If you want to improve it, set EPR=3 full-time. Unfortunately, I cannot see your current setting because of your calendar, which you should turn off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I realized the calendar thing right after I posted (oops). Here's (hopefully) a better look.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here are some tips to help with the leaks:  

Mask Primer              
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, leaks are too high. See if you can control them better, it will affect therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
High EPR also helps with your leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a beard or might be pushing your mask off seal during sleep I had the same problem when I started and went to a Phillips Silicon Nasal Pillow mask and it helped out a bunch.

I was at 20-30 leak and now i peak at 20 with most of the time around 5-10. also a lot more comfort that theres less mask on my face so i dont feel as claustrophobic.

Im still new to reading these but I see your AHI at 0? Based on what others have said you could probably lower your pressure too, slowly. so you dont build up as much pressure which makes mask leaks happen more often.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, my AHI isn't really the main thing for me. I need to switch back to tracking RDI because I'm not sure OSA is exactly my problem. It's been a balancing act between fixing leaks and minimizing aerophagia. 

The ideal scenario is that I get therapy to be 100% beneficial to me. Keeping my O2 readings up has been a pain as well.

Gladly, enough I've recently been referred to a sleep doc who may actually be able to help me out.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, I took the V-Com out last night and went with the memory foam FFM. It leaked a little more than I was hoping, so I switched to nasal pillows when I woke up around 3 a.m. I set the pressure at 8 cmH2O with no EPR and slept fine afterward. I think I will try 9 tonight to see where that gets me. Hopefully there's no aerophagia. 

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS Dodies 5 256 7 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  Leak Rate Questions in OCAR MrPsyduck 5 253 09-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 32 1,270 09-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: weepingwillow
  Erratic flow rate preceding OA weepingwillow 3 202 09-06-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Flow limit and pressure hobway 8 316 09-04-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Jlmerlav
  Question about flow limitations Uzupan 5 339 09-02-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [CPAP] How do I fix flow limitations? dnserror 5 328 09-02-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: carnuntum

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.