Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel
Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel
I have finally gotten my leaks under control, but my flow limits don't look great to me.  I'm already using EPR full-time at 3, so that's not the issue.  Is there anything else I can do to drop them, or should I just not worry about it?

Here's last night's Oscar:      

Thanks
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow Limits
The only option you have with your cpap is to raise the min pressure.  I would go up .2 per day until you like the results.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Stacey, I did not know that raising the minimum would make any difference with flow limits.  I'll jump to 13 tonight.  I think I will bump the upper limit to 19 also, as I notice that I sometimes bump against the 18 I have set.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can also consider getting a Bilevel which will likely not only get rid of the bulk of the flow limits but possibly allow a reduction in pressure as it seems to be your flow limitations that are forcing you to use high pressure. You can get one from the suppliers on the wiki or find one used on Facebook marketplace/Craigslist (caveat emptor).

For now follow Stacey's advice of trying a bit more pressure. You don't have much room left before you max out the machine, but worth a shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with PLP above. You might be able to get a script from your doctor, but getting insurance to pay will be challenging. The path I took to bilevel was to buy a used machine and demonstrate the efficacy using the data. That was sufficient to get my prescription and my insurance went with my physician's recommendation after an initial denial and appeal. Now I'm on Medicare and received a new Vauto. Since flow limits are not a metric in most sleep tests, and most of us resolve apnea with CPAP, it is very difficult to get a bilevel based on the conventional medical necessity path. Resolving flow limits will reduce your arousal rate and improve how you feel by significantly reducing the respiratory effort that occurs with flow limits (inspiratory flow resistance). As you know, it is the pressure support that resolves flow limits. Sometimes 3-cm is not enough.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Deborah, I just wanted to post that your tidal volume (the amount of air you take in with each individual inhalation) in your OSCAR (median of 220) seems low.  You have the blueprint now as to how to proceed.  Possibly raising pressure on your cpap could work, or a bilevel could work also by reducing your flow limitations.  Great job posting that chart to get suggestions.  Try to use that specific number (220 tidal volume) on this OSCAR chart as evidence to help you get what you need from your medical providers.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Yikes!  I never dreamed that I might need a bi-level.  Well, I'll see how it goes in the next few nights, then reassess.

I have noticed over time that I was uncomfortable with my starting pressures, so I gradually moved up.  And I increased the upper pressure as I saw myself bumping against the upper limit on Oscar.  I am almost to the upper limit provided by my machine, so maybe a bi-level is, or soon will be, necessary.  Rats.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bilevel is the CPAP everyone should have. Resmed made their CPAP a bilevel, but limited to 3-cm of pressure support (EPR). So why doesn't everyone get bilevel? Simply the cost that insurance chooses not to pay. Why is bilevel more expensive? Because that is the manufacturer business model, the equipment is identical except for firmware (programming).

When you consider an airway that restricts peak flow, pressure support is how flow can be restored, without increased respiratory effort. It's different from just preventing obstruction by stenting the airway with positive pressure, it is a mechanical assistance to overcome airway restriction at the moment it is needed to produce normal flow. CPAP actually keeps the airway patent during the transition from exhale to inhale. Pressure support is what keeps it patent during peak inspiratory flow. With bilevel, the EPAP pressure can be greatly reduced for individuals like you. The assistance of pressure support during inspiration makes acquiring a breath faster, and more efficient. If you go this route you will wonder why you waited so long. You seem to have the determination to make it happen one way or another. We're here to help if you need.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Am I right that I will need a new sleep study to obtain a bi-level?
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, my suggestion is that you try to acquire a self-financed used machine to try out bilevel and self-titrate. It's just easier and cheaper unless you have really good insurance. If you can arrange a test that seeks to minimize arousals and respiratory events using bilevel, it may be worthwhile, however most tests have an endpoint of efficacy where events are minimized and the patient achieves REM sleep with CPAP. It might be worth discussing your concerns and lack of comfort with your doctor. Show them the result of CPAP with little or no EPR vs your use of EPR at 3 and point out how higher pressure support (EPR) results in greater comfort and efficacy in terms of flow limits, ventilation or whatever metric we can help you identify to contrast. Explain that in your opinion greater PS, only available with bilevel may resolve these high flow limits which are disruptive to sleep and cause higher levels of respiratory effort. If you can go into a test with a set of titration outcome objectives beyond routine sleep lab titration, it may be worthwhile. Without that, it's best to just DIY then prove to your doctor how much better bilevel works and feels.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 20 1,383 49 minutes ago
Last Post: donsburg
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 118 4,856 3 hours ago
Last Post: donsburg
  UARs, Aerophagia, and Bilevel Pressure Settings ATeam91 6 200 Yesterday, 11:36 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 24 1,269 Yesterday, 12:27 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Tweaking Bilevel ahuman 18 626 07-31-2024, 04:09 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Flow limitations and minor breathing changes kevinonasv 7 306 07-24-2024, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Shouldn't flow limit always precede OA events? NoddingHacker 2 537 07-24-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Pablomc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.