Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI
Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI
Hi all, new to the forum and on my third week of CPAP and having a very hard time adjusting. 

I've managed to get my AHI down to ~6 per hour, but I am still waking you feeling like I got hit by a truck and the exhaustion never really lets up throughout the day. 

For the first few weeks I had trouble getting my mask to seal properly, and as a result kept waking up and had some nights where my AHI was 10+. I've now managed to get that under control, but my AHI is unchanged even with a mask lead rate close to zero. 

One potential culprit might be my "flow limit" which to be clear I am not sure I fully understand, but seems like the only red flag in my charts. (attached). 

Can anyone offer some clues here? How can I reduce this elusive flow limit" and finally get some rest?

Also, I noticed that my pressure is at maximum for most of the night which is giving me some serious aerophagia and I am also assuming not allowing me to get deep sleep since it's so intense. 

As a side note, I also have a slightly deviated septum so even though I can fall asleep breathing through my nose, chances are 100% I open my mouth when I sleep. 

Any ideas here? Really want to have a day where I feel even slightly rested!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI
I would really suggest you use OSCAR for your data.  It is totally free to download and use.  Almost all of use use it and know how to read the charts.

BUT a couple of things.  Your flow limits are very high.  Flow Limits drive up the pressure of a Resmed machine.  FL are apnea just like OA and H events.  When a Resmed machine encounters a FL pressure is increased to stop it from getting to become a larger H or OA event.

We help the severity for flow limits using EPR.  To do that you have a couple of things to check on and change if needed

Settings
Min 8
EPR set to Full Time
EPR set to 3

Also I see some positional apnea.    You can see positional apnea where either H or Oa events are clustered together.  Getting rid of as many as you can will lower your AHI.  Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice. I already have EPR set to full time, but will bump it up to 3 from 2 where I have it set and also look into getting a flatter pillow to try and reduce positional flow limits.
Post Reply Post Reply
Again, the min needs to be raised - where you have it set will not do anything.  Set Min 8
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leak Rate maybe Skewing AHI ? StratCat48 5 183 Yesterday, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  EPR 1, hight flow limit, but lots of CA throwaway1242 8 255 10-19-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Switched to full face mask last night. Flow limitation increased obstructedairway101 13 328 10-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: obstructedairway101
  [Symptoms] More Tired With Less Flow Limitations sowo123 3 243 10-10-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Leaks and Flow Rates cyberfiche 4 328 10-02-2024, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Weird Flow Rate Pattern Started 3 days ago Dodies 2 167 09-30-2024, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  is this flow limitation? shyguy 2 313 09-30-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: shyguy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.