Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong?
Question 
Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong?
Hi Apnea Board community, 

I've been suffering from symptoms of sleep apnea for the last ~10 years. Symptoms are the typical ones: fatigue, sleepiness, depression, poor memory, attention, etc. 

I got diagnosed with sleep apnea 1 year ago with an AHI of 22 and RDI of 30. I've been using CPAP on and off, with no symptom relief. I've just started looking at my Oscar data, and I'd love some help figuring out what could be causing my lack of progress. I've attached the following Oscar data: one representative daily view, summary stats for 30 days, and a graph of my typical flow pattern.

Open to any and all suggestions! Thanks a ton :-) 

Extra context: 
- Sleep surgeon thinks apneas are mostly caused by my tongue (small jaw/mouth). 
- Have nasal congestion problems when sleeping (100% blockage in one nostril, 10-75% in other) 
- I move around a lot in my sleep (due to chronic muscle pain from another disease) 
- I use a medium thickness pillow 
- I use mouth tape, but no chin strip

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong?
I can make two suggestions that should help you feel better.

1.  Turn off ramp.  You are getting no real therapy while on ramp.

2.   Set EPR to full-time at 3.

You have some leaks but I don't know how to determine whether they are from your mask or your tape.  I'm guessing they are from your mask unless you use one-inch tape instead of two-inch, or are not using a long enough piece.

Good luck! Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong?
I would like just to add a few extra points:-

It appears that your leaks could be actually mouth leaks. As you are using tape, make sure corners are well covered. Maybe fold your inner lip under the top lip before afixing tape. This should stop the pressure from prising them apart and alllowing air to escape. 

I am curious why you are on a fixed pressure of 10? Could be overkill as your events seem to be well controlled. Something indicated  by your doctor, or your sleep report? 

It could be interesting if you tried settings of a minimum of 8, maximum of 10, to see if you get better quality of sleep and continue at tbesame timd to have good control over events. 

These settings can only be established by trial and error and may take some weeks to get right. . 

The central apneas should reduce from Deborah 's suggestion of EPR at 3, accompanied with greater therapy comfort.

A note on a simpler graph presentation.

For future postings, all we really need are the following graphs:-

1. Events
  2. Flow rate
  3. Pressure
  4. Leak rate
  5. Flow limitations
Also please eliminate the calendar for better visibility. 

For detailed graph organising, please see here
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just started 6 days ago! benjaminjaquith 20 909 10-06-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: benjaminjaquith
  Weird Flow Rate Pattern Started 3 days ago Dodies 2 154 09-30-2024, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  Airtouch f20 tearing after a few days yankees123 41 10,909 09-29-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: frankzappa
  Two Days In RegenHealth 3 179 09-28-2024, 02:19 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] ASV AHI between 0-1 but still tired some days Melkarid 4 291 09-24-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Melkarid
  [CPAP] Got Oscar a few days ago, would love help understanding what i can fix DryWallProspector 5 231 09-22-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [CPAP] Used for 60 days, want to eliminate RERA/awake [Reposted with correct format] a29988122 7 525 09-20-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.